(FP)NeverLet Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode v Amy Winehouse)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP)NeverLet Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode v Amy Winehouse)

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:37 pm

SMASH - Never Let Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode vs. Amy Winehouse)

Instrumental & Vocals: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Vocals: Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again

Hearing RS remix, remind an open project with that song from DM, hope you like it :1wink:

phpBB [media]

V3

No Flash Installed

Download

Re: Never Let Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode vs. Amy Winehou

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm

I like this one but I have a couple of nit-picky things I'd like to see addressed.

1. It sounds to me like the vocals could stand a 1db boost. They seem a bit "timid" at times.

2. The word "ground" doesn't seem to land right. It sounds like that note should be lower by two or three semitones.

Other than that. It's well on its way to being another SMASH hit. :1wink:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 am

I spotted 4 'grounds', but only the first one 'really' for me needs lowering (how much I don't know 2-3 semi seems right, but I am glad that for the first time I 'get it', this key/resolving thing :1laugh: ).
Ground-times from the preview are:
1:00
1:16
2:07
2:22

Playing this in the club, at @2:40 I would look annoyed from the dancefloor at the DJ, then suddenly realise that it does fit and it is on beat, but just unexpected. The mashup continues on beat/key but it doesn't sound to me as 'nice' anymore as the first part. Maybe there is some modal change or whatever ? It is almost two mashups in one. :1wink:

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 am

satis5d wrote:2. The word "ground" doesn't seem to land right. It sounds like that note should be lower by two or three semitones.

you should try, but i like it as it is. I wait for a recommend. I love the break at the end :1wink:

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am

satis5d wrote:I like this one but I have a couple of nit-picky things I'd like to see addressed.

1. It sounds to me like the vocals could stand a 1db boost. They seem a bit "timid" at times.

2. The word "ground" doesn't seem to land right. It sounds like that note should be lower by two or three semitones.

Other than that. It's well on its way to being another SMASH hit. :1wink:

CVS wrote:I spotted 4 'grounds', but only the first one 'really' for me needs lowering (how much I don't know 2-3 semi seems right, but I am glad that for the first time I 'get it', this key/resolving thing :1laugh: ).
Ground-times from the preview are:
1:00
1:16
2:07
2:22

Thanks for the comments guys, you were right, I raised the gain for the vocals and shift down 3 ST at these spots.

CVS wrote:Playing this in the club, at @2:40 I would look annoyed from the dancefloor at the DJ, then suddenly realise that it does fit and it is on beat, but just unexpected. The mashup continues on beat/key but it doesn't sound to me as 'nice' anymore as the first part. Maybe there is some modal change or whatever ? It is almost two mashups in one. :1wink:

I don't see it as a club related mashup, it more like a combination of classics materials, and of course, it is a matter of taste :1wink:

Version 2 is up for a second review.

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 am

DRA'man wrote:
satis5d wrote:2. The word "ground" doesn't seem to land right. It sounds like that note should be lower by two or three semitones.

you should try, but i like it as it is. I wait for a recommend. I love the break at the end :1wink:

Thanks, DRA'man, I just upload a second version, you probably missed it in a few seconds :1laugh:

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:22 am

What a great transformation for Never Let Me Down Again! Nice pitch work on that chorus, and kudos to satis5d for identifying and troubleshooting that spot. What a great community we have here! :1grin:

The vocals are still a bit distant to me, like there is a bit too much reverb on them. Have you added some of that or are you stuck with that from the original vocal track?

Also, the timing around 3:20 when the tempo picks up, and then at a few spots right after that seems to be a little bit behind. I get the feeling you’ll have to warp a few things out of their natural timing to really tighten it up.

Still a winner in my book, though!

Re: (!)Never Let Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode v Amy Wineho

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 am

Thanks for the recommend, MG :1grin:

Vertion 3 is up with some clarity and timing improvement for the vocals :1wink:

Re: (FP)NeverLet Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode v Amy Wineho

Post Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Great mashup Smash!

1 star User

Re: (FP)NeverLet Me Back To Black (Depeche Mode v Amy Wineho

Post Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:00 am

Once again I suffer from my own actions, that is not logging in on here more often than I should.

I like this little gem an awful lot. Probably because the material used is classic, rather than some of the mush that is being produced commercially in the music industry today.

To the wizard that put this thing together, may I thank you very much for sharing it with us all and I take my hat off to you.

A number of years ago, a certain someone on here produced yet another piece of musical genius. I said then, that it was so good, it made my nipples explode. Mr Smash, this is now the second time my nipples hurt.

Once again, thank you!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>