Male Freak in Flames (Adina Howard+David Guetta+Sia)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Male Freak in Flames (Adina Howard+David Guetta+Sia)

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 am

sources:
David Guetta + Sia - Flames (Karaoke) Fm - 94 bpm
Adina Howard - Freak Like Me (acapella) 91,228 bpm (thanks Legato) (I thought and found on Internet that it was F#m, but Warezio discovered it to be B minor, based on the tonic).

Warezio is right, the acapella is in B minor and that is almost too far to fix. Also, the lyrics change in meaning now that a man seems to be singing it.
This extreme pitch shifting also seems to give me extra timing issues on the vocal.
I have a new mashup with Adina ready (apart from mastering stuff) and an idea for the Feels mental. I will leave version 4 up for the curious; this is the all male version. (keep formants off, -6 semi). This version is from AFTER Happy Cat Disco's comment.

No Flash Installed

I put all remarks in my post of October 23st below. Version 4 is so different from the first 3 that my old information doesn't matter anymore.
Last edited by CVS on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Re: CVS - Freak in Flames (Adina Howard + David Guetta + Sia

Post Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm

I think the vocals need to be louder. Also, the "what they say" part circa 0:40 sounds clashy to me. Overall I have a vague sense of something being out of tune here. Let's see what other people think.

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 am

@Warezio, thanks, I updated the mashup in OP.

2 Star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi CVS! V2 sounds much better in my ears, but why do you change the pitch on the mental and keep the vocals original?
I found the sources to be as follow: Vocals Gbm or (F#m as you said). Instrumental Fm.
So, try keep your instrumental at original pitch and go down 1semi on your vocals instead.
I always try to keep my instrumental in the original key if i can. An instrumental is made out of many tracks all along the Fq spectrum from the low to the highs (much more info) the vocals are more narrow Fq.
And if you are still on AcidPro..? Make sure that you use the Elastique Pro in the track properties and also hook of the "keep formants" box as well, if not the timbre will be off.

Hope that helped a little bit :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi Legato, version 1 was all vocals 1 semitone down (120 parts) with formants on, but Warezio mentioned "out of tuny".
So to fix that, in version 2 I switched it around, by changing only 1 part (= the mental) and keeping the 120 parts at their original pitch.
However, I understand your argument about the frequencies and will try another version (at F minor).
With "hook of" you mean put Keep Formants ON (right ? :1smiley: )

2 Star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 pm

version 1 was all vocals 1 semitone down
That should be up 1semi :1wink:
It dos not mater if its 1 or 120 parts. You change the whole track(s) in the track properties as well.
With "hook of" you mean put Keep Formants ON (right ?
Jepp thats right :1smiley:

2 Star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 pm

keeping the 120 parts at their original pitch.
Did you cut it up in 120parts and make a single track out of each part?
You can change the whole track pitch in the track properties or you could use the selection tool to mark all samples and hit +or- key on your keyboard.. Not sure how you distributed those 120 parts?

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks Legato for your help here and in PM. :1laugh:
The 120 parts are on 3 tracks, but reused copies were all over the place going back and forth over the timeline. I replaced the music on an older mashup (when I was not as tidy as now...) to fix a 5th issue. I should have used more tracks and maybe colors back then...
Because on track 2+3 there were a lot of descending delays (every repeat 1 semi down) I had not thought of the 'change whole track' option, but it is a good idea for the future.
Other remarks and a new version are in the original post.

Post Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 am

This one is really stumping me. Something still feels harmonically off. So for instance it sounds to me like (as transposed):

/let/me/lay/it/on/the/line
Bb/Db/Eb/Eb/Eb/Db/Bb

while the instrumental is doing something like: Cm-Eb-Fm-Db, so maybe that Bb doesn't like the Db-major chord in the instrumental. Every note above is on the Fm scale so it's not a key issue per se.

I think there are other parts in the song where the progressions are not aligning. Maybe some spot pitching would help? Personally I'm not anchored to the melody (I don't know the source acapella) so I'd rather improve the harmony.

1 star User

Post Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 am

Warezio, I did not understand your 'not anchored' remark totally (= you don't care if I change the melody ?) , but I redid the mashup completely.
Got rid of all repeats and cutups (apart from one new one.
Added a bit of reverb.

Version 4 is up now, it's more of a classic A+B now and I think the melody is more natural now, so I hope this improves the harmony with the mental (in the same key).

below are the old remarks from the original post, because version 4 is so different from the previous 3, they were confusing. For history students, they are below.
===============
What I did in first version
1. Cut the acapella in 119 pieces (a lot are re-used, or just the L or R side). All shifted 1 semi [EDIT] down in first version. Not everything from vocal was used, and almost everything is at another place/order.
2. handmade delays; in a few cases lowering each repeat in volume and 1 semitone
3. @0:37 and @2:37 I made a vocoder-effect (split L+R vocal, put them 2 semitones apart, shifted a few milliseconds)
These three maybe caused what Warezio (see below) thought he heard. Based on Legato's comment, it was probably the mostly absent in version 1 'keep formants' setting.

Fixes in version 2 based on Warezio
Lowered mental volume and upped the three vocal tracks, put a bit of reverb on.
Upped the mental 1 semi and kept the vocal at the original pitch.
Shorter outro, less busy intro.
Various fixes in timing of the repeats.
@0:40 I lowered 'I don't CARE' part 1 semitone on Warezio's pointing out the spot.

Fixes in version 3 based on Legato
Legato gave me a better BPM and tips on the 'keep formants' in Acid Pro, thanks.
Put mental on 'one shot' again (a tip from DJ Earworm's book) this improved the sound but also gave more volume (than 'beatmapped') so I had to turn that down, and then used original Fm key for the project.
Not all 120 vocal parts were on 'elastique pro' (needed for 'keep formants'), fixed that except for the male voice and descending delays, then lowered them all 1 semi to Fm.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>