(!) CVS-If You Don't Know Y You Love Me (Brownstone+N.Jones)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) CVS-If You Don't Know Y You Love Me (Brownstone+N.Jones)

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am

NOTA BENE
I am working (november 27th) on a new mashup with this acapella.

=========================
Thanks b-romeo and Warezio for your tips on keyfinding. I edited original post after your comments to make things clearer. I appreciate the remarks on how to keyfind and will definitely use them in the future.
On the other hand, I found this combo already and would like to hear if this one mashup is alright (and FP-worthy). :1rolleyes:
sources:
Brownstone - If You Love Me -> A major (or its relative F# minor= this based on inwhatkey.com and Virtual DJ and Celemony Melodyne)
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why -> A# major (or it's relative G minor, see above, this based on songkeyfinder.com and audiokeychain.com and musicnotes.com).

extended information
Checked keys on various websites. The Tunebat website (thanks B-romeo), uses an old encryption or security certificate, and therefore my Chrome browser refuses to show it. Another site inwhatkey.com gave me:
Brownstone - If You Love Me -> A major (or its relative F# minor= same notes in different order and use)
Norah Jones - Don't Know Why -> A# major (or it's relative G minor). 1 semi lower in Acid Pro.

Threw away Brownstone part 2:39 - 3:00 (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91NExZP5dZI (
Used first part of part 3:00-3:37 in original acapella over the intro of Norah, but very soft
The music of most songs starts and ends on the topic note. Vocals usually start later, maybe this is not the case for the vocals? I messed with that by making a new vocal overlay intro and a new ending with echo chamber delay, and that way maybe I put listeners who don't know the original songs on the wrong foot.
The Dorian reference I now understand (thanks Warezio), but that also means that a minor key is also 'just' a major key, but starting on the sixth note.
I assume that Don't Know Why, a song that is offered for Karaoke so for non-experienced singers and that has been a worldwide hit is not too hard mixolodianaciousnesswise, so the A# major is probably right.
Ladies in Brownstone really CAN sing. Here I assume it is just one key.

I think it fits together in an unexpected way.
I found a better acapella on the US maxi single and used that in version 3 (thanks SMASH for 'insisting' on the pella quality :1grin: ).

version 3 with better acapella after 2nd SMASH-review

No Flash Installed

download-version-3
=================================
to compare version 2 after SMASH

No Flash Installed

to compare below the OLD version, before SMASH

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 am, edited 12 times in total.

Re: CVS-If You Don't Know Y You Love Me (Brownstone + N.Jone

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

I hear what you're trying to do here, CVS, and it is quite beautiful. But as you noticed already the keys are all over the place. I'd love to know what MashGyver has to say about this. :1shocked:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:16 am

I'm not able to hear what keys songs are in, so I cheat by using a website.
https://tunebat.com/ is normally pretty solid, just make sure you are looking up the correct song as karaoke and live versions are listed also!

I did however check up your sources, but it came up with multiple possibilites :-\ anyhow, its a nice tool I figured I'd share :1smiley:

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:51 pm

b_romeo wrote:I'm not able to hear what keys songs are in, so I cheat by using a website.
https://tunebat.com/ is normally pretty solid, just make sure you are looking up the correct song as karaoke and live versions are listed also!

This used to be a pain point for me, but this video helped me out (warning: it is loquacious).
  • Find the tonic. This is a note that you can just play over and over and it always sounds good.
    • Sometimes you can get fooled by the 5th here.
  • Start playing a scale based on the tonic (e.g., with freepiano).. If the minor third sounds good that suggests a minor flavor; if the major third sounds good that suggests a major flavor.
    • There are several major modes and several minor modes, but mostly "major" (Ionian) and "minor" (Aeolian) are used.
    • It's still really hard for me to tell the difference between rarely used modes (e.g., Mixolydian) and their common equivalent.
  • Last step: check hooktheory, tunebat, or key-finding software to see if they agree.
    • hooktheory has poor coverage but knows about rarer modes. Everybody else tries to shoehorn things into "major" or "minor".
    • If the original published key or the automatically identified key does not correspond to the tonic, that sometimes points to a fancy mode being used. Example: tunebat lists the key for purple haze as D major, but the tonic is clearly E ... solution to this puzzle is that purple haze is E-dorian (dorian starts one note up on the scale).

If you hear a key change you have to do the above procedure for each section. If the songwriter is really fancy then essentially key changes are happening all the time ("borrowing") and it can be hard to even find the tonic (e.g., the chorus to Toxic).

If all else fails, ask MashGyver.

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:11 am

thanks B-romeo and Warezio, I have extended the original post AFTER your remarks.
Also improved the phrasing in the mashup (version 2 is now up), it now fits better, and is a bit shorter. I hope it also fixes some key issues, that's to say if there ARE any keyissues.
To get room for the earlier vocal in the front, I had to shorten the vocal overlay intro I had created with the vocal outro. (if that makes any sense :1shocked: )

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:34 am

Interesting combo, I'm not familiar with the sources, and you almost convince me that you have here an original song :1smiley:

I didn't hear the previous version, but it sounds like you solved the main key issues you had.
On the other hand, as a side effect for the key transformations and BPM changes, I think you've lost a bit from the acapella quality, but maybe it's only me :1undecided:

I'm curious to hear the others on your latest version...

1 star User

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks SMASH for noticing the pella quality and also checking the key.
I reloaded the vocal in the project and changed volume(s) and re-rendered a new version (old one to compare is also there).

Post Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Your latest version 2 sounds better than before but for me, the pella still suffering from lack of quality, so I'm not sure if it's a FP ready :1undecided:

I'll be happy to hear the others...

1 star User

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 am

SMASH, you were right (as usual...)
I found a better quality version of the acapella, so I remade the mashup with that.
Version 3 is in the original post.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:57 am

I can accept version 3 :1smiley:

I Recommend

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>