(FP) Happy Firefly (Owl city vs Zedd & Elley Duhé)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) Happy Firefly (Owl city vs Zedd & Elley Duhé)

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi! I was listening to the radio yesterday and heard this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXvjxbRhZk
And thought it sounded familiar some how, came to this conclusion;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4
But it was in another key and 9bpm slower.. Still gave it a go!
This is what i came up with. Ive could have used a better Pella, but this was all i found :1cry:
(anyone got a good pella to spare?)

sources:
Owl City - Fireflies (Instrumental)
Zedd & Elley Duhé - Happy now (Acapella???)
Owl City - Fireflies (Studio Acapella)

Draft:

No Flash Installed

V1:

No Flash Installed

V2:

No Flash Installed

Download: (same edit, different master)
Master1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm17tcylsqto3mg/Happy%20Firefly%20draft2%20V2.mp3?dl=0
Master2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tw346j9kadmenp/Happy%20Firefly%20draft2%20V2%28alt%20master%29.mp3?dl=0

Hope you all like it..
(Ps! Please help me with a better vocal) :1wink:
Last edited by Dj-Legato on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Happy Firefly (Owl city vs Zedd & Elley Duhé)

Post Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Like the combo, it fits well, both voices combine good.
The Owl city original vocal always sounded 'nasal' (NASA? spacey) / husky-but-high-pitched to me, but you mean the other vocal (obviously...)
Maybe a solution is to exagerate the effect on the girl's voice, and put like a telephone voice on her, or change formants (in the pitch correction) with Vocalsynth or some VST like that, to make her sound husky, whispered, "out of this world" as well.

With Gsnap VST for autotune, I had the effect that the acapella became narrower (in stereo) as well. Maybe this is in your girl-source as well? The parts where the man sings seem a tiny bit wider now, but this can be a problem of my headphones.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 am

Maybe you can find a better Elley-pella. However the tremolo and thin-ness is mostly noticeable only at the very beginning (and I mean only the first 22 seconds). Adding some more verb with pre-delay can sometimes smooth the tremolo. The thin-ness might be addressable via equalization. Once you get to the wide vocoded parts it sounds just fine to me.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:33 pm

So I only have a mono listening source at the moment but from what I can tell the combo is good. If you wait a while I bet the Happy now Acapella (without BG vocals) will show up eventually. That said I still think it works as is. I would just recommend turning the vocals down a dB or the instrumental up a dB. :1smiley:

2 Star User

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for your feedback you all :1smiley:

Ive tried to fix the acapella from Elley Duhé by adding a tube compressor, some more reverb with more pre-delay and lowering the De-esser and gating a bit.
I also tried increasing the lows on the Eq just a touch.
It now seems warmer and a little wider, but the bad extracted pella still have some artifacts..
I tried to camouflage the worst parts with snippets of the instrumental in reverse :1undecided:
And of course as HCD suggested, i lowered the vocals by applying an envelope on the volume from(0,9 - 1,6 Db) on both vocals :1smiley:

Anyway, V1 is up :1cheesy:

No Flash Installed

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:45 am

A very nice combo here :1rolleyes:

Did you try the pella from MS Project (just in case you don't use it :1tongue: )?
https://msprojectsound.com/song/22266/Zedd+Elley+Duh+Happy+now+Acapella+Instrumental

Post Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:37 pm

I didn't find the source material on the 'pella to be an issue. Your masking skills must be better than mine. :1wink:

I did find that the vocals seem to come in early quite often. I'm not sure how much you cut this up, but I found that Elley tends to come in rushed but then the issue gets resolved by the end of every phrase.

I'm very close to a recommend on this.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Thank you guys!

Did you try the pella from MS Project (just in case you don't use it :1tongue: )?
Jepp! Thats the one Ive used :1wink:

Your masking skills must be better than mine. :1wink:
That i doubt :1shocked: Why do you say this, did you try that pella yourself ? or..

I did find that the vocals seem to come in early quite often. I'm not sure how much you cut this up, but I found that Elley tends to come in rushed but then the issue gets resolved by the end of every phrase
I rechecked the timing by putting the original Zedd track in my DAW, aligning it with the instrumental of Owl city, then muted the mental and turned on the vocals again. And yes there was a slight reverb going on there, some places up to 0.012Bpm.
Then i used a plugin called transient master to slow down the attack just a nudge on the Elly vocals. I guess the timing is fixed now :1undecided:

V2 is up :1smiley:

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 am

I like version 2 :1rolleyes:

I say...

2 Star User

Re: (!) Happy Firefly (Owl city vs Zedd & Elley Duhé)

Post Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Thanks for the recommend Smash! I do appreciate it :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>