(FP) MG - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purple)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) MG - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purple)

Post Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 am

Well, the mash-off voting tells me you either felt bad that I had to rush and wanted to give me some more time to work on it OR that I should have kept it in the trash to begin with :1tongue:

Meanwhile, I haven’t had many minutes to spare to work on this, but I was able to figure out an ending I liked, clean some stuff up, and cut down the track length a bit. I still haven’t gotten around to the cover art, though...

MashGyver - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purple)

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water (Stems and “Made In Japan” Live Version)
Stevie Wonder - Living For The City (Stems and Album Version)

Version 1 (ALREADY FRONTPAGED):

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD HERE

Version 2:

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD V2 HERE

Re: MG - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purple)

Post Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 am

Why do I get the feeling from your mashups that as a live musician you live for the encore section of the performance? :1tongue:

It's still a bit repetitive, but I like it. :1grin:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: (!) MG - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purpl

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:00 pm

It's fabulous. (Nitpick: at one point the drums go centered, this is a probably a limitation of your sources, when they are panned they sound awesome.)

satis5d wrote:It's still a bit repetitive, but I like it.

"Smoke On The Water" is true classic rock: "I found a guitar riff, let me burn it into your skull, you are high anyway so you won't mind". Considering that, the lyrics are varied enough and the middle solo+sketch make it palatable to the uninebriated.

1 star User

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Damn this is great plus they flow together seamlessly, Maybe add some Deep Purple Backing Vocals to it ocasionally so it will back Stevie up a little bit besides that minor nitpick it's awesome.

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Great combo, MG, this one could have been a good candidate to the last Mash-off :1cool: sorry for you for not making it on time :1cry:

TheRayMan wrote:Maybe add some Deep Purple Backing Vocals to it ocasionally so it will back Stevie up a little bit besides that minor nitpick it's awesome.

Good idea, nothing to add, waiting for your artwork and for your final version :1wink:

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 am

really good !

i'm waiting the artwork too ! :1smiley:

Post Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:00 pm

Good grief MashGyver... you and those insane progressions and key changes. :1shocked:

I would FP as well but we are waiting on the art and feedback reply. :1tongue:

Nice work.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks everyone! I know the riff gets repetitive with this one, but I thought there was enough progression and variation in the drumming, and I threw in lots of change ups and surprises in there to break the monotony.

warezio wrote:Nitpick: at one point the drums go centered, this is a probably a limitation of your sources, when they are panned they sound awesome.
I know what you mean--Stevie’s drums (in the intro and outro) are panned all over the place while Deep Purple did the classic front-and-center drum mixing. I don’t know that I’d want to pull the drums away from center (other than maybe the few toms that are hit throughout the song), and narrowing Stevie’s drums seems counterproductive to me. So I’m not sure I want to touch it. :1undecided:

satis5d wrote:Why do I get the feeling from your mashups that as a live musician you live for the encore section of the performance?
Who doesn’t love a good encore??!! :1tongue:
Happy Cat Disco wrote:Good grief MashGyver... you and those insane progressions and key changes.
Somehow I have a hard time staying interested if making these isn’t absolute torture! :rolleyes:

As far as the cover art goes, I’m experiencing technical difficulties with my Photoshopping computer currently, so I’m going to keep this on hold until I can get to it or find another way to finish it.

2 Star User

Post Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 pm

Amazing Mashup MG, this is flawless in my ears :1cool:
I don't play the guitar, but i know how to play this riff! An absolute classic :1grin:
Well done !

1 star User

Re: MG - Smoke On The City (Stevie Wonder vs. Deep Purple)

Post Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 am

satis5d wrote:as a live musician

what kind of musician are you, mashgyver?

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>