[FP] Secret Rock (Aretha Franklin vs. Ugur Soygur)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] Secret Rock (Aretha Franklin vs. Ugur Soygur)

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Warezio - Secret Rock (Aretha Franklin vs. Ugur Soygur)

Aretha Franklin - Rock-A-Lott
Ugur Soygur - The Secret Buddah (Soledrifter Dub)

This is not my usual track, but I think satis5d has the right idea: it's a more effective tribute to pair Aretha with a recent track. So this is my guess of what a modern DJ-friendly dance record sounds like: long, with generous intro and outro, and somewhat energetically homogeneous. Beatport claims the instrumental is currently popular with the young people.

Version 2: (-autotune; +manual pitch correction)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (autotune)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 2 download link
Last edited by Warezio on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Secret Rock (Aretha Franklin vs. Ugur Soygur)

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:56 am

Your post is important in more ways than one.
in short
Great danceable current combo, and it's good to know that when you have a pella that does not fit with anything in your own instrumental collection, there WILL be an instrumental (between 100 and 140 BPM in the diverse subgenres) on Beatport that DOES.

longhand
1. This is a great mashup, and at least this "old man" likes it. It is not just for the young people. Please don't downplay your work.
2. You have invented a new genre: mashup of beatport instrumental with a soul classic mashup We can call it a "beatup" and make a special category of that (like A+B, or multi-part).
3. It is good to be open-minded on music and use a song from a genre you normally don't listen to. This is an example for us all, even if it means that I will have to go and make a Metallica mashup :1laugh:
4. I thought (before joining Mashstix) that EVERY mashup by definition should improve the danceability of the acapella. This site has learned me about more (key) things than just fitting the riddim/groove, but I think it is still important for a mashupartist (MUA) to be able to improve the energy of older songs by replacing the original music. Yes, dance music is repetitititive :1rolleyes: : but that is part of its appeal.
5. This (see point 3) opens opportunity for a new subforum: 'requests by other people to make mashups with A or even A+B'. I have had my moments where I wanted to mash but did not have inspiration. A list of suggestions by other people (plain music lovers or time limited mashuppers or anything in between) would help a lot. Especially if they provide links and key and BPM indications.
6. Beatport is an enormous vault of nowadays mostly instrumental tracks, with indicators of BPM and key provided by the original author/musician. THEY should know what it is....
Because of their 'hitlist' you can even see what is popular (in the sense of what is downloaded the most by professional DJ's). And every month there is a whole "torrent" :1wink: of the Beatport top 100, so I have "heard".
7. MashGyver has recently proposed (August 21 in the Warezio - Run for Pride thread) a thread for (as I understand it) half finished ideas/projects. On that new forum I would like to post things like "I have this studio acapella of..." and "this instrumental beat waits for a good pella, but I can't find it" and let others do their thing on it.

Long reply, aimed to improve the forum and bring joy and inspiration to all. NOT to take away attention from your excellent combo.

2 Star User

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:17 am

Slight key issues around 50 second mark & 2:49, 4:00 ish too maybe?

Timing around 4:45 - 5:0x gets a bit challenging to my ears and maybe the tunings too here maybe same 5:5x, 6:1x too - Looks like wherever Aretha goes full Diva it worth a fiddle imo ;P

Disco dubber, another one for the end of summer party circuit - gr8

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:56 pm

(Version 1 posted)

SgtMash wrote:Looks like wherever Aretha goes full Diva it worth a fiddle imo ;P
Autotune gave acceptable results so I went with that. It quantizes a few of the vocal tremolos, but I think only audio engineers will notice.

SgtMash wrote:Timing around 4:45 - 5:0x gets a bit challenging to my ears
I listened for this several times but couldn't find it. *shrug*

2 Star User

Post Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Pref the non autotune as she's goes a bit rubber ducky flangy wobbly 1:10 most noticeable 1st example - and I've no doubt your ears are better than mine so I'd go with yours unless others hear it. Still lovin' it xx

Post Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:34 pm

Sgt is right about the OOk sections but it sounds like a late eights/ early 90's house mix. You get my approval regardless. Very good work on this, It's very enjoyable.

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:19 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Sgt is right about the OOk sections but it sounds like a late eights/ early 90's house mix.

I agree with this claim, so I feel comfortable to promote it unless you would like to bring it to perfection if possible, let me know :1wink:

Re: (!) Secret Rock (Aretha Franklin vs. Ugur Soygur)

Post Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 pm

SMASH wrote:I agree with this claim, so I feel comfortable to promote it unless you would like to bring it to perfection if possible, let me know

If you guys like it, I'm good. I want to get this out there while Aretha is still top of mind.

p.s. on subsequent listen, I think I like the non-autotune version better as well.

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:39 pm

For version 2, I ditched auto-tune and manually adjusted some problem spots.

Hat tip to @SgtMash

1 star User

Post Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Pretty damn good and usually I can't stand the EDM Stuff.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>