Gonna Take Little Time If You Don't Love Me-Penn+Foreigner

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Gonna Take Little Time If You Don't Love Me-Penn+Foreigner

Post Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 am

sources:
Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is (acapella)
Dawn Penn - You Don't Love Me (no no no) (instrumental)

working on ANOTHER vocal with this instrumental - stay tuned (haha)

Foreigner on a reggae trip.
Music sheets show Foreigner = Em, Dawn Penn = Am, so I had to lower her voice 5 semitones to that of a male producer. Crazy, but it gives lower bass !
Cut out the choir parts as they didn't fit well (in my ears) and used Acid Pro's plugin Simple Delay to create echo's on reused vocal parts, (about) 1:44 till 2:04.
Made a fadeout on the acapella vocal. :1smiley:

version 2 vocal pitched up 2 semis (D#m to Fm), mental 4 down (Am to Fm), thanks MashGyver

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Re: Gonna Take Little Time If You Don't Love Me-Penn+Foreign

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 am

CVS wrote:Music sheets show Foreigner = Em, Dawn Penn = Am, so I had to lower her voice 5 semitones to that of a male producer. Crazy, but it gives lower bass !
So Foreigner sounds like it’s E♭ minor, so you still have another semitone to cover. I would definitely recommend bringing Foreigner up, possibly more than just the one semitone, so you can avoid putting the Penn instrumental through so much strain. It’s definitely lacking some energy and detail after being pitch-shifted so much.

I love the acapella ending! Very nice.

1 star User

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:22 am

Thanks Mashgyver for your comment. I put Foreigner up 2 semitones (D# to F), and Penn down 4 (A to F) in Acid Pro with keep formants. It doesn't sound right to me, but I have never pitched up vocals before. Please tell me what you think/hear. Pitched up version is in orginal post.
Sheetmusic for Foreigner is Em, but as you explain below, they often tune their guitars (and rest) a semitone down.
Last edited by CVS on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 star User

Post Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Not sure, and I'l curios to see what they key-masters say - but I think V2 is slightly ook as well

1 star User

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:44 am

thanks B_romeo.
I found out I did not lower the formants with 2 semitones, just pitched the voice up 2 semitones. Maybe you hear that? I will try again and maybe put up a version with just 1 semi up (if the pella is really E minor instead of D# minor).

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 pm

That’s frustrating that the sheet music is in E minor! A lot of bands tune their guitars down a semitone, and Foreigner has been known to do just that. So when the guitar would play what should be an E minor chord, it comes out as an E♭ minor chord. Unfortunately the only thing you can really trust is your ears. Having a piano or some instrument around can be helpful too.

The songs are definitely “in key” now, but they may just not be a good harmonic match unfortunately. The A minor chord works great with the vocals, but the D chord clashes, and it sounds like there’s an E7♭9 chord or something in there too that’s clashing a lot. At the heart of it, “You Don’t Love Me” is a blues tune, and “I Want To Know…” is a pop tune, and that is a really hard genre gap to bridge. It’s very admirable if and when you can get something like this to work--I just think these two tracks just aren’t musically compatible enough... :1sad:

1 star User

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 am

Thanks Mashgyver, I will leave this mashup for now.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>