(FP) Long Train Steppin' (Ariana Grande vs The Doobie Bros)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) Long Train Steppin' (Ariana Grande vs The Doobie Bros)

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Warezio - Long Train Steppin (Ariana Grande vs. The Doobie Brothers)

Ariana Grande - Step On Up
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Running

The "what you need" harmony is synthetic, hopefully I didn't screw it up (the chorus progressions don't line up, but the verses are spot-on).

Version 2: (fix guitar stem pan bug; reduce and verb horns)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (mix adjust)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 2 download link
Last edited by Warezio on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Long Train Steppin (Ariana Grande vs. The Doobie Brother

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

I botched the mix: in the car I can't hear Ariana *at all*.

I'll post another version ...

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Version 1 posted.

I can hear her in the car now. It still sounds very busy in the car, but is ok in the headphones and on the monitors.

1 star User

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 pm

The spot at 2:11 is awesome. When it hits around 2:35 or so, the vocals feel a bit too fast. Overall though, I like it!

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:17 am

Such a great, natural combo! It really suits the warezio brand too!

The “synthetic" harmony sounds great to me. Did you make it yourself to deal with the tricky chord right there?

Something is still off with the mix...It sounds to me like Ariana is off to the left. In fact, the whole mix seems to panned oddly :1undecided: I went back and listened to the original Doobies track to make sure it wasn’t just a weird old recording. But it sounds like you’ve got the bass off to the left and the guitars a bit off to the right. Ariana might just sound off the left because the mix doesn’t seem balanced to me... :1huh:

The “step up on to this” parts around 2:37 seem slightly OOT, as do the horns in that part(nice touch, by the way!) Ariana is syncopated there while the ‘mental is right on the beat, so that might just be messing with me...Either way I would play around and see if you can’t tighten it up.

The horns may also be a bit hot and/or might benefit from some reverb. They seem a bit in-your-face for this laid back instrumental, and at times they stop abruptly.

Looking forward to hearing the finished product!

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 am

MashGyver wrote:Such a great, natural combo! It really suits the warezio brand too! The “synthetic" harmony sounds great to me. Did you make it yourself to deal with the tricky chord right there?

Woot! Glad that worked out. (Just trial and error basically, trying different notes).
MashGyver wrote:Something is still off with the mix...It sounds to me like Ariana is off to the left. In fact, the whole mix seems to panned oddly ... Ariana might just sound off the left because the mix doesn’t seem balanced to me...

Definitely. This one is a puzzle.

The DB stems are pristine but mono, and in particular there is a big guitar on the right but another less energetic guitar on the left. The original DB vocals are very centered, which keeps everything out of the way of the wide instruments, but Ariana (especially BGV) frequently goes wide and then I think is overwhelmed differently in each channel.

So maybe I can narrow Ariana to be like the Doobs, or alternatively play with the instrumental panning.

MashGyver wrote:But it sounds like you’ve got the bass off to the left and the guitars a bit off to the right.

The bass is mono, but maybe some other choice I made is making it sound off (e.g., maybe one of the guitar stems I put on the right should go on the left).

MashGyver wrote:The horns may also be a bit hot and/or might benefit from some reverb. They seem a bit in-your-face for this laid back instrumental, and at times they stop abruptly.

Agreed. My initial attempts at reverb killed their "punch" but I bet it was pre-delay causing me problems, and I agree they definitely want some sustain, I'll noodle on it.

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:39 pm

(Version 2 posted.)

One of the guitar stems was panned right but sounds like it is panned left in the album version. Maybe that was causing the mix imbalance?

Also reduced the horns a bit and put some verb on them (but without pre-delay).

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:45 pm

I like this one very much.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Re: (!) Long Train Steppin' (Ariana Grande vs The Doobie Bro

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:50 am

I'm getting all the beat (drums) in my right ear and for me I'd prefer a more even pan of the beat

The vocals sound a little muffled

If you get the levels right it perfect

Re: (!) Long Train Steppin' (Ariana Grande vs The Doobie Bro

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 pm

The guitar sounds better, but you’re still getting some weird panning here, warezio. The bass is off to the left, and as theitfixer mentioned, the drums seem to be slightly to the right. :1huh:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>