(FP)Stomp Mama, That's All (Serena Ryder vs. Genesis)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP)Stomp Mama, That's All (Serena Ryder vs. Genesis)

Post Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 pm

satis5d: Stomp Mama, That's All (Serena Ryder vs. Genesis)

Serena Ryder - Stompa {instrumental}
Genesis - That's All {acapella + guitars}
Genesis - Mama {acapella + guitar solo}

At a point in this mashup, all 3 songs are playing instrumental sections while the two Genesis acapellas go back and forth. This one took me considerably longer than average to make. :1shocked: Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: Stomp Mama, That's All (Serena Ryder vs. Genesis)

Post Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:16 am

Not familiar with the instrumental, but the combo works a treat! The extra layers near the end were worth the wait, and the extra time you put into this one shows!

A few minor suggestions, mostly creative:

• The vocals in the intro are a nice touch! I would suggest giving them a little more of an effect that let the listener know it’s just an intro, and that the rest of the track won’t be that slow. Super-wet reverb, echo/delay, a low-pass filter, a chorus effect, or any combination of those come to mind.
  • Phil seems to come in a skosh early after the intro (0:32) but lines up pretty quickly once he finds the beat.
  • The “I could leave but I won’t go…” part the second and third time around have a second harmony in there that makes them less compatible and consequently less beautiful than the first. :1smiley: I might suggest swapping those out for the first one. If you really want to put in some work, you could try making your own extra harmony :1cool:
  • Lastly, I might suggest panning the extra layers near the end, away from the center so they don’t all crowd the same space. e.g. Mama vocals 20% right, Mama guitars 40% left, That’s All guitars 40% right, and That’s All vocals in center, or something of that nature...

Re: (!)Stomp Mama, That's All (Serena Ryder vs. Genesis)

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Version 2 is up.

I took all of your suggestions to heart, MashGyver, but only ended up making about half of them.

1. Phil's slow solo was already dripping wet, but it was too quiet to hear. I boosted the volume there a bit so that you can hear the echoes and effects better.
2. I employed your suggestion about the harmonies on the 2nd and 3rd rendition of "I could leave but I won't go" to the second part but not the third. I liked how the harmony sounds in that third section, but I like it much better without it in the second. Thanks.
3. The guitars are part of the acapella track for "Mama" so there isn't much I can do to pan them away from the vocals there.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 pm

It doesn't sound crowded, so I think you have juggled the sources well. I hear what MashGyver is saying about the guitars but given the constraint it seems alright, there is some wide stuff going on there to distract. (My kids use an effectively mono bluetooth speaker with their phone all the time, so I think the whole "mix it in mono" scene might need a comeback anyway).

As far as the jam, it's very groovy, a worthy instrumental for the classic Genesis.

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 am

satis5d wrote:3. The guitars are part of the acapella track for "Mama" so there isn't much I can do to pan them away from the vocals there.
Gotcha. You could maybe try using your widening plug-in for that, but we’ll see what everyone else thinks.

The rest sounds great! That’s all!

Post Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Nice work satis5d, I like this mix. Regarding the panning/widening of 'Mama' towards the end, for me it still sounds like it fits well as is, without feeling out of place, due to the the 'Stompa' 'mental filling that wider space to not be too noticeable.

The only thing stopping me from frontpaging is that it sounds like Phil needs to be louder in the intro still (v2) - it's difficult to hear him over the 'mental for me.

Post Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 pm

DJ CROSSABILITY wrote:The only thing stopping me from frontpaging is that it sounds like Phil needs to be louder in the intro still (v2) - it's difficult to hear him over the 'mental for me.
My intention was to keep Phil noticeably underneath the instrumental as more of an intrigue than as part of the song for people to really listen to the lyrics. :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 am

satis5d wrote:
DJ CROSSABILITY wrote:The only thing stopping me from frontpaging is that it sounds like Phil needs to be louder in the intro still (v2) - it's difficult to hear him over the 'mental for me.
My intention was to keep Phil noticeably underneath the instrumental as more of an intrigue than as part of the song for people to really listen to the lyrics. :1undecided:

I agree with DJ CROSSABILITY that the vocals are too low for me

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 am

Great mash Satis5d. Regarding the intro, You could try to radio futz him (Remove low end) and submerge him in a lot of reverb. This will make it more obvious that you are going for harmonics and not lyrics and prevent mix confusion. :1wink: Everything else is great.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:23 am

i like it like it is !

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>