Shut Up & Respect(Walk the Moon Vs Erasure)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

Post Sun May 20, 2018 4:07 am

Instrumental: Walk the Moon - Shut Up & Dance | https://youtu.be/6JCLY0Rlx6Q
Vocal: Erasure - Respect | https://youtu.be/x34icYC8zA0

Woo! Back to many a teen happy memory for me with the Erasure track, with a Walk the Moon fave of my teen kids (prior to them going all emo n attitude at least ;)) More summer p.a.r.t.y. fodder \o/

Not sure I've nailed the mix - the verbs baked in on the vocal...and I wonder if I need to add a little high end verb on the instrumental? anyone got any suggestions / think that's a good idea?

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/w54ebdouhlbhjx ... espect.mp3

2 Star User

Re: Shut Up & Respect(Walk the Moon Vs Erasure)

Post Sun May 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Yes I like this combo.

Some creative suggestions follow, feel free to ignore.

The stems are available for WTM and I suspect you could engineer some more felicitous chord alignments. (For me, instrumental must bend to Erasure ... that's just how it is :1tongue: ). Nothing is "wrong" at the moment but Erasure is moving around in places where WTM is arpeggiating the same chord, which is somewhat tepid.

For instance, at 0:23, I _really_ want the instrumental to move. Maybe you can copy another part of the instrumental, or maybe you can bend it. Then at 0:26 it is good again, then at 0:30 I want the instrumental to move, and then at 0:32 it is good again (fill is great!).

Since I can't do this by ear ... hooktheory has a roadmap for WTM and then for Erasure I would start with guitar chord sites and then just try to play it myself to get an idea of what the original is doing.

2 Star User

Post Sun May 20, 2018 3:14 pm

This could really be an original if someone would not know the sources. Of course you could do some improvements as warezio suggests but for me this is already great as it is. Good job! :1cool:

Post Mon May 21, 2018 1:52 am

This has some great moments, Sarge. I think warezio has a good point, though. The WTM verses are a little “vanilla” in terms of chords, and the Erasure vocals want to take the listener many more places. But if I weren’t familiar with Erasure, I’m not sure if I would expect that…I’m curious to hear more opinions on that before you go and do any drastic remodeling of the instrumental though.

Also, the alignment of verse:verse and chorus:chorus isn’t quite there. For example it seems like Verse 2 shouldn’t come in until 1:19, which would probably take some looping to make happen. “Respect” doesn’t really have much of a chorus, so I might even suggest leaving the WTM chorus in there. Alternatively you could just have some fun with the “tooooo meeeee” and echo it a half a dozen times, panning it creatively.

Further along, I get used to the harmony…the bridge is really nice too!

Post Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am

I like the idea, nothing to add, interesting to know what will be the final product :1cool:

Post Tue May 22, 2018 3:52 pm

I LOVE this combo! :1grin:

But I'm 100% on-board with Warezio on the chords at the beginning. I literally cringed the first time that WTM didn't change chords to match Erasure.

I would also like to add that the acapella seems to come in early at 2:17.

I'm very close to recommending this. :1cool:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

2 Star User

Post Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 am

Yea. lemme have a play. originally I had no looping in the instrumental in the intro and it fitted better in terms of progression, but started abruptly - maybe I'll flip it back and see.

Will pull the stems and do a rework - will look at 2.17 at the same time...hear what you say on chorus, so I'll see what it sounds like leaving the other in while we're at it ;)

Ty guys

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>