The Beach Boys Vs Gorillaz

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

The Beach Boys Vs Gorillaz

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:30 pm

This is a mixture of The Beach Boys God Only Knows with Gorillaz On Melancholy Hill, I think some of the vocals of the BB track work better than other parts not a easy arrangement or vocal to mix some dorian lydian and mixolydian notes but I am sure I will find some way to correct it with feedback of course!

Sources Used
The Beach Boys God Only Knows Acapella (From 30th Anniversary Pet Sounds Sessions)
Gorillaz On Melancholy Hill Official Instrumental

V1

No Flash Installed

V2

No Flash Installed

V3

No Flash Installed

V4

No Flash Installed

V5

No Flash Installed

Download V1 Here
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 097495.mp3

Download V2 Here Pitch Corrected (Melodyne)
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 577760.mp3

Download V3 Pitch Corrected Again
https://sowndhaus.audio/track/9599/god- ... ly-hill-v3

Download V4 Weird notes fixed
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 295767.mp3

Download V5 Here
https://sowndhaus.audio/uploads/tracks/ ... 451590.mp3
Last edited by TheRayMan on Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Re: The Beach Boys Vs Gorillaz

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 pm

RayMan, you are a brave man :1smiley:
You pick yourself a tough task, not sure how this one will end, but currently there are so many OOK moments that I don't know where to start :1cry:
I hope there is a simple way to address it, not sure :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Ouch ! Not necessary to have absolute pitch to hear there's something wrong. There's maybe something to do with tools like melodyne, but there is still work to do. In any case, the idea is good, it's worth a try.

2 Star User

Post Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:25 am

Clear harmonic issues. Maybe you can hit the vocal with an autotune hammer and force it to be in a certain mode (e.g., chromatic -> major). The artifacts actually might sound pretty cool with this instrumental.

Having said that, what I've learned the hard way is: if you have to work really hard to bring two sources together, you are going to spend a lot of time on something that is unlikely to "pop" when you are done.

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 am

You know I love a good harmonic challenge, RayMan! But I wouldn’t touch “God Only Knows” with a ten-foot pole! It is such a brilliant song musically, and so totally unique that I wouldn’t even know where to start mashing it...

The good news is that you don’t have backing vocal harmonies to deal with during the main melody. So you could still potentially Melodyne the vocal melody into a something that would work. I’m not convinced this is the instrumental for it, though...

1 star User

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Version 2 has now been added to the original post, It originally had somewhat of a minor melody so I had to change it to Major then repitch it down to 3 semitones as it was F# Major I wanted it to be E Flat, So I then repitched the mental up by one so instead of D it's E Flat.

1 star User

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:40 am

Version 3 has now been added to the OP, I moved the vocals up to C# Major and turned the mental down from D to C# Major. Critique once you get the chance thanks!

2 Star User

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:36 am

Not even Warzio's got the patience to break this down and put it back together again - super challenging to work these two - I wouldn't even know where to begin key and timing wise. (Maybe I'm a wimp, but there's gotta be an easier way to make moosics)

V.2 sounded like the starting point to me, but after that I got nothing but cold sweats and a slightly work shy attitude to offer :)

1 star User

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:32 pm

SgtMash wrote:Not even Warzio's got the patience to break this down and put it back together again - super challenging to work these two - I wouldn't even know where to begin key and timing wise. (Maybe I'm a wimp, but there's gotta be an easier way to make moosics)

V.2 sounded like the starting point to me, but after that I got nothing but cold sweats and a slightly work shy attitude to offer :)

I guess we will wait and see what the others think, God Only Knows is A Major and Melancholy Hill is D Major so I had to move the vocal up by four to D Flat then move On Melancholy Hill down by one so instead of D it was D Flat.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

The player for V3 isn’t working for me, but I listened on Sowndhaus.

Well the chorus sounds really good harmonically now! The verse only has a few OOK notes that could be Melodyned to fit the key better, but you’re now on the right track.

Meanwhile, the timing seems awkward in a few places, but I couldn’t tell you exactly where. Some of it seems on and some seems off...

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>