[expl] CVS - Hoodstar Shape of You - Bow Wow + Ed Sheeran

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[expl] CVS - Hoodstar Shape of You - Bow Wow + Ed Sheeran

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 am

sources:
Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (Instrumental) F#m - 96,00 bpm
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud (acapella) C major - about 98,70 bpm, one semitone up
Bow Wow Ft Omarion - Hood Star (Acapella) F#m - 85,00 bpm.mp3
sample - the DJ from: Indeep - Last Night a DJ Saved My Life
sample - title from: Criminal Element Orchestra - Put The Needle on the Record
sample - countdown 5,4,3,2,1
sample - we got some f.king fresh beats for you
sample - this concludes evenings entertainment

Explicit tag added. I am Dutch myself, and don't even notice or care about foul language, but a warning is good.

No Flash Installed

Based on Warezio: I reshuffled mental-parts in version 2, fixed timing of the "i can do it in the mix", and shortened the mashup.

No Flash Installed

Based on Happy Cat Disco: reshuffled and repeated mental further, took out the busiest parts, moved the rap one beat earlier.
Based on Smash: added Ed Sheeran, but didn't have Shape of You acapella, so used a pella of Thinking Out Loud, in version 3 (other remarks in my post of april 17).

No Flash Installed

Last edited by CVS on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: CVS - The Hoodstar Shape of You - Bow Wow + Ed Sheeran

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:18 am

Needs an explicit tag at 0:09 (!)

When everything comes together, it is quite nice.

A creative suggestion, feel free to ignore: I would augment with additional drum samples from somewhere else. For example everything comes in at 1:10, briefly, then parts go away again. That's demanding a lot of patience from the Twitter generation. Personally I would try to find a way to place an additional regular low beat starting at circa 0:35 or maybe 0:50 and making sure it is mostly present after that.

(Also, get some second opinions before making changes)

Re: [expl] CVS - Hoodstar Shape of You - Bow Wow + Ed Sheera

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:17 am

In general I don't like so much mashups based only on rap, but I have to say, it's flow nicely, maybe except the abrupt ending, which you handled nicely with the voice of the DJ :1cool:
Just as a creative suggestion, I think you can use also the original vocals of Ed Sheeran here and there, and mainly at the end, which might also help you to have a smooth ending :1wink:

1 star User

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:26 pm

@smash, thanks i will look at Ed Sheeran (well. listen to his vocals...)

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:21 pm

Sounds like the vocals are playing a few beats early so they don't lock the way the should, but I also noticed the singing sections are out of key with the instrumental by a 5th. :1cry:

1 star User

Post Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:08 am

thanks HCD, I did various edits, see original post.
- Both tracks should be F#minor; maybe the beat-shift of the rap (you were right, but I solved it by moving the rap 1 beat to the front, instead of 3 to the back) put the "singing parts of Bow Wow" at a better place in/on the mental ?
- And also the mental has been changed in order from version 2, and I have not used everything from Ed's original
- Added Ed Sheeran vocal, but it's another track, which gave me room to change the title. It is (I admit...) in C#major (horror) , but these small parts seem to fit over the intro.
- Ed's "it's all part of a plan" at 2:54 is a meta-joke about making mashups.
- The samples in the intro have been shifted in place.
- Put a soft guitar overlap in at about 2:34 to change the clapping break.
- Repeated Ed's hit on his (small) guitar to keep the rhythm going at 2:05 and 3:10
- shortened a clapping break by taking the middle 8 beats out (now 1:10 - 1:14)

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 am

A couple of things.

1. The timing of the Ed Sheeran vocals is OOT (out of time). Everyone else seems to be okay, which makes him stand out even more.

2. The acapella parts (other than Ed) seem quiet to me pretty much throughout the mix. I would suggest that you give them all a boost.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:44 am

thanks satis5d, i will look into it.
- the volume should be no problem.
- The used Sheeran pella turns out to be wrong in bpm (97 instead of 79) and possibly also in key. I have a shape of you pella now, so will choose again.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>