[FP] Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer (Ofenbach,Deep Purple,MJ)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

[FP] Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer (Ofenbach,Deep Purple,MJ)

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:35 am

&

DJ Dumpz

Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer (V3 & V4)
&
Beat Smoke on the Katchi (V2)

The idea for this mashup was born at a carnival's party where a live band played "Smoke on the Water" and I always had that "Doo-wop-a-doo-wop" hook of "Katchi" in my head. So I was giving it a try and instantly loved the combination. However, it was really extremely hard to get all the timings right. Especially in combination with my added kick drum. There were always some tiny double beats left even when I tried using a side-chained multiband compressor to duck the bass freqs of "Deep Purple" down when my kick was playing. Finally I trashed my nearly perfectly warped version to create my own mastered one without the kick track from multitrack stems I found on my HDD. Now I'm quite satisfied with the result but maybe fresh ears could still spot some tiny glitches here and there... :1smiley:

What do you think? Looking forward to your feedback on this one! :1cool:

Updates:
In the new version V2 I replaced the vocals in the verses with "Michael Jackson - Beat It" to make it more interesting (as SgtMash suggested).

In V3 now the verse of Axwell & Ingrosso's "Dreamer" is used to avoid the fifth issue :1wink:

In V4
- Increased volumes of vocals to make them sit better in the mix
- Added small "dreamer intro"
- New cover art
- Several small improvements

SOURCES:
- Axwell & Ingrosso - Dreamer
https://youtu.be/Odum0r9gxA8

- Ofenbach & Nick Waterhouse - Katchi
https://youtu.be/Ycg5oOSdpPQ

- Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
https://youtu.be/eu5lv2Umn3M

- Michael Jackson - Beat It
https://youtu.be/oRdxUFDoQe0

Listen (V4 - Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer):

No Flash Installed

Download (V4):
DJ Dumpz - Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer

------------------------------------------------
Old versions

Listen (V3 - Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer):

No Flash Installed

Download (V3):
DJ Dumpz - Smoke on the Katchi Dreamer
Listen (V2 - Beat Smoke on the Katchi):

No Flash Installed

Download (V2):
DJ Dumpz - Beat Smoke on the Katchi

Last edited by DJ Dumpz on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: DJ Dumpz - Smoke on the Katchi (Ofenbach, Deep Purple, M

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 am

Wai u no use Beat It vocals ??? I find the do wappa gets annoying rather than catchy hook kinda thing after a minute or so and if you'd used Beat It for the vocals you'd have had a SMASH Mash on your hands all stems available if you don't I'm gonna ;)

Still a fun remix idea but maybe not my relentless do-wappa-cuppa tea

2 Star User

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:33 pm

You are right it's really too repetitive. I will work on a V2 with more "Beat It" and less "doo-wappa". :1grin:
Thanks for the great feedback! :1smiley:

2 Star User

Re: DJ Dumpz - Beat Smoke on the Katchi (Ofenbach,DeepPurple

Post Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:23 pm

The new version V2 is finished now. I replaced the vocals in the verses with "Michael Jackson - Beat It" to make it more interesting (as SgtMash suggested).

Post Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 am

I think the idea is there but unfortunately the MJ vocals are out of key. :1cry:
MJ is Dm while the instrumental is Gm.

2 Star User

Post Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 am

Oh dear I may have given u a bum steer, sry there, but HCD's right :(

2 Star User

Post Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I think the idea is there but unfortunately the MJ vocals are out of key. :1cry:
MJ is Dm while the instrumental is Gm.

MJ is D#m and I lowered his pitch by -1 to Dm. Gm and Dm should work quite well together because they share all notes except the Eb and I don't hear any big key clash between the vocals and the mental. Do you really hear one? :1huh:

Post Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am

Yeah, this is a great concept, but Micheal's vocals aren't pitched to match. :1cry:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 pm

DJ Dumpz wrote:MJ is D#m and I lowered his pitch by -1 to Dm. Gm and Dm should work quite well together because they share all notes except the Eb and I don't hear any big key clash between the vocals and the mental. Do you really hear one? :1huh:
Unfortunately, the fifth thing rarely works out very well. I wrote a long-winded explanation here. Essentially, just because the notes come from the right scale doesn’t mean the melody will work with the chords under it. That’s even sometimes true about mashing songs in the same key--they’re never guaranteed to work. It’s just the opposite with fifths--they’re not guaranteed not to work, but the chance is slim that they’ll work.

That said, I heard V1 from my phone while traveling last weekend and I liked the single “beat it”s that you had throughout the song. They were a simple melody that resolved to D, which works, despite the difference in keys. You just can’t quite get away with it in the verses as the melody is much more complex there. You might consider finding another G minor source there, unless you can make the Katchi verses work there...

I do like the “doo wapa doo wop” with the SotW riff, though. That was an excellent catch on your part! And the mixing all sounds great to me too!

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:09 am

SgtMash wrote:a SMASH Mash

Did someone call me :1tongue: :1laugh:

MashGyver wrote:I do like the “doo wapa doo wop” with the SotW riff, though. That was an excellent catch on your part! And the mixing all sounds great to me too!

Yea, I like it too.
I didn't hear the first version, but I also agree with the others about the key issue with MJ in v2.
As suggested, try to use other sources, I have a feeling it will turned into a cool combo :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>