(FP) Run The Jewels Vs Len Barry - 123 Talk To Me (EXP)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) Run The Jewels Vs Len Barry - 123 Talk To Me (EXP)

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:35 am

Sorry I have been having some problems posting my mashups. I was trying to do it from my crappy computer at work.

Anyway this is a mashup i did using an instrumental of Len Barrys "1-2-3".
The Acapella is Run The Jewels, they are my favorite artists at the moment but it was impossible to find any isolated vocals, until I discovered PhonicMind. So this is my first mashup using PhonicMind, For me its def a game changer.

RTJ- Talk To Me (PhonicMind Acapella)
Len Barry - 1-2-3 (Instrumental)

No Flash Installed

https://hearthis.at/djtbone-bi/123-talk ... /download/

V3 https://hearthis.at/djtbone-bi/123-talk ... /download/
hope it works this time :)
Last edited by tatertraps on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Run The Jewels Vs Len Barry - 123 Talk To Me (EX)

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:26 am

Not sure whey the player isn't showing up. Take a look at the how to set it up again. Probably a syntax issue.

I like the first half of the mashup very much. The syncopation complements the instrumental very well.

Something happens in the second half that is not as clean as the first though. I think the acapella may be out of time or the rhythm style isn't a perfect match like the first. Thoughts?

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:40 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Something happens in the second half that is not as clean as the first though. I think the acapella may be out of time or the rhythm style isn't a perfect match like the first. Thoughts?

yep, it seems the pella is a little late on the beat in the second half effectively.

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 am

yeah, something seemed a little off but i wasn't sure what it was.
ill try to go back in and tighten it up.
thanks for listening and for the feedback.

1 star User

Post Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:38 pm

having a real hard time getting El-Ps vocals to match up

heres a link to the original track
https://youtu.be/1b9n0Amr9RI

2 Star User

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:57 am

tatertraps wrote:having a real hard time getting El-Ps vocals to match up

Sometimes - especially rap - I cut the whole lot up into 1 or 2 phrase-long pieces starting with the 1st beat/phrase in time' and then subtly jog the phrases backward or forward tiny bits to get the rap to sit in the pocket of the instrumental.

Alternatively just put a cut in the phrase just before/as you hear it start to drift out of time and pull it back in at that cut, then wait till you can hear the drift start again, then cut again and move it back into time and repeat til you reach the end - often does the trick.

This isn't it exactly, but you end up with a similar load of subtly altered phrases like this:

1 star User

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 pm

SgtMash wrote:
tatertraps wrote:having a real hard time getting El-Ps vocals to match up

Sometimes - especially rap - I cut the whole lot up into 1 or 2 phrase-long pieces starting with the 1st beat/phrase in time' and then subtly jog the phrases backward or forward tiny bits to get the rap to sit in the pocket of the instrumental.

Alternatively just put a cut in the phrase just before/as you hear it start to drift out of time and pull it back in at that cut, then wait till you can hear the drift start again, then cut again and move it back into time and repeat til you reach the end - often does the trick.

This isn't it exactly, but you end up with a similar load of subtly altered phrases like this:

cool! thanks for the tip! i'll definitely try that out.

1 star User

Re: Run The Jewels Vs Len Barry - 123 Talk To Me (EXP)

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Just posted my 3rd attempt

3 Star User

Post Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:02 pm

The timing sounds good to me now.

Len Barry is from 1965 (nice one!) so I'm guessing this was the source of your problems. Tracks with real drummers until the late 80s will have variable timing throughout the track. Fills are especially deadly.

To keep things sane I now click track and check/correct the timings of the tracks before I start to mix them together (once you've decided to "commit" of course; when exploring, the important thing is to listen to potential ideas as fast as possible, so don't obsess too early).

1 star User

Post Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 am

warezio wrote:The timing sounds good to me now.

Len Barry is from 1965 (nice one!) so I'm guessing this was the source of your problems. Tracks with real drummers until the late 80s will have variable timing throughout the track. Fills are especially deadly.

To keep things sane I now click track and check/correct the timings of the tracks before I start to mix them together (once you've decided to "commit" of course; when exploring, the important thing is to listen to potential ideas as fast as possible, so don't obsess too early).

Thanks! yeah, i love the idea of mashing oldies but the bpms are a nightmare :1laugh:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>