(FP) DH -SomethingDownUnder(Men At Work vs The Chainsmokers)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) DH -SomethingDownUnder(Men At Work vs The Chainsmokers)

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Don Hector - Something Down Under (Men At Work vs The Chainsmokers & Coldplay)

Men At Work - Down Under [Acapella]
The Chainsmokers & Coldplay - Something Just Like This [Instrumental]

I used this in the previous mash-off but I still needed to lower the vocals before re-posting!

P.S. I've not had much time lately due to my new job!

V1

No Flash Installed

V2

No Flash Installed

Download (V2)
Last edited by Don Hector on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3 Star User

Re: DH - Something Down Under (Men At Work vs The Chainsmoke

Post Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh yes this one was very good.

I think lowering the vocals at the opening is correct, but then at about 47 seconds they feel a bit too low. At 2:02 the level is good again, but then on the subsequent ramp I would want to turn them up a bit again.

The timing at the _very end_ circa 3:35 seems a bit off.

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:50 am

warezio wrote:Oh yes this one was very good.

I think lowering the vocals at the opening is correct, but then at about 47 seconds they feel a bit too low. At 2:02 the level is good again, but then on the subsequent ramp I would want to turn them up a bit again.

The timing at the _very end_ circa 3:35 seems a bit off.

Agreed.
It's a good idea, just needs some adjustments :1wink:

This mental is getting more power gradually in the beginning, so I think you need to follow this pattern also with the vocals. The first few seconds the vocals still sounds a bit too loud, I think you need to lower the vocals by ~1dB and make it a gradual increment to match the mental.

As warezio mentioned, it's getting too low from 0:47, so I guess you'll need to give it more gain via a limiter, and maybe some EQ will help as well, not sure :1undecided:
This mental might be even too loud to begin with, so it's a question of balance, check if you're not crossing the red line with it.

Regarding the timing, I also felt you are getting off from 2:02 at some parts throughout the end.

And as a general suggestion, you can always use some parts from the original song, I think people like to hear the original singer here and there, just a thought :1wink:

1 star User

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:38 pm

I think I agree with the previous feedback. Its a really cool song. Feels like "you better better run" at 2:15 is late.

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 am

I really like this one, Don!

So the problem with the "Down Under" file is that it is panned off center, to the left. A few weeks ago Happy Cat Disco was dealing with the same vocal, and eventually was able to shift it to the middle (not simply through panning it more to the right--that won’t work.) Perhaps he'll chime in on how he did it.

That said, I think the vocals will still need some Reverb to mesh with that instrumental. Nice work on it so far, though!

Post Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 pm

You'll need this as Mash suggested.
DL

I like everything, but it sounds like the vocals are competing with the drops, more so at the very end. You should consider cutting them or only playing a snipit every now and then to let the instrumental breath.

2 Star User

Post Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:19 am

You should definitely quit your job and polish this mash up - it's a classic in the making<3

1 star User

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies amigos!! Much appreciated especially as I've not been present in quite a while! :1grin:

Happy Cat Disco wrote:You'll need this as Mash suggested.
DL

Thanks HCD! I've posted up V2 with this acapella. I still slightly hear the vocals heading to the left channel but it's much improved :)

SgtMash wrote:You should definitely quit your job and polish this mash up - it's a classic in the making<3

Thanks Sgt Mash! I still need to pay the bills unfortunately! :1laugh:

I've also tried to address the rest of the issues i.e. vocal peaks/troughs to follow the instrumental and put a little EQ dent in the instrumental to let the acapella breathe also :)

3 Star User

Post Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Sounds great to me. (Well, the "yeah yeah the thunder" @ circa 2:50 sounds a little colorful but that's ok).

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:03 am

Vocals still sound off to the left in V2. Are you sure you used the HCD acapella for that version?

Anyway, eagerly awaiting the next version...

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>