[FP] Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes)

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Sound_Attack - Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind vs. The Black Crowes)

Tracks used:

Third Eye Blind - Losing A Whole Year [instrumental]
The Black Crowes - She Talks To Angels [vocals]

I always wondered what She Talks To Angels would have sounded like if it was more upbeat, but still maintaining the 90's vibe. So I made this to find out! Working with and aligning these vocals was a pure nightmare. I completely understand now why there isn't many (if any) She Talks to Angels mashups around.

Version 2:

No Flash Installed

Download link

Version 1:

No Flash Installed

Sowndhaus link
Last edited by Sound_Attack on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 Star User

Re: Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes)

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:06 am

Well nightmare or not the outcomes great - feel like the vocal could go up a few cents - specially on some of the vocal bends at the end of a few of the phrases near the start, maybe as a whole idk though - I love it regardless and probably stylistically the slightly flat feel is perfect.

Post Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm

I am a big fan of “She Talks To Angels” (as well as most of your work) and was excited to hear what you’d done with it! I gave this a few listens, though, and I have to admit I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around what is going on harmonically that holds it back from being really compelling to me. It’s not out of key per se, but the progressions aren’t as compatible as I’d like them to be, I guess… Paired with some of the small pitch issues SgtMash is mentioning, it just doesn’t knock my socks off...

The work you’ve done here is great, don’t get me wrong. The vocals are nicely structured to fit this instrumental and the echoes are tasty! But something isn’t quite clicking for me… :1undecided:

I’m curious to hear some other opinions.

1 star User

Post Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks for the replys!

Yeah, honestly I was iffy on this myself. However after listening to it thousands of times I went a bit ear blind and couldn't figure out what wasn't working right.

I think fixing the pitch issues that was pointed out probably won't be enough to fully make this work properly.

Post Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am

In overall I like it, but I agree with the others about the pitch issues, and I also felt the vocals a bit dry. Maybe pitching those notes and adding a bit of more reverb will make the difference :1undecided:

1 star User

Re: Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes) [v2]

Post Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 am

Version 2 is up. Did a re-pitch, but I'll admit I'm not the greatest at getting pitches exactly correct. Also added some vocal wetness.

Re: Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes) [v2]

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 am

I didn't hear the first version, but while there are a few blue notes in this one, they seem appropriate to the mix. I recommend.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Re: (!) Losing A Whole Angel (Third Eye Blind/Black Crowes)

Post Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

Much better :1smiley:
Version 2 sounds good enough for me, you can smile now, you got my medal :1wink:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>