(!) One More Heavy Reason - Lady Gaga & Linkin Park

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) One More Heavy Reason - Lady Gaga & Linkin Park

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 pm

One More Heavy Reason

Instrumental - Lady Gaga - A Million Reason
Acapella - Lady Gaga - A Million Reasons
Acapella - Linkin Park - One More Light
Acapella - Linkin Park - Heavy

Hey guys - havent posted for a while, but I have been lurking and watching. Felt like these songs fit well together and I'm hoping for some feedback :1smiley:

V2

No Flash Installed

Idk if I made it worse or better, but I tried to add some reverb to Gaga.
Last edited by b_romeo on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 Star User

Hmm... interesting... However...

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Even though this mash is well in terms of tempo, I must say, sadly, that the high-pitched Chester just doesn't appeal to me very much...

So I would recommend these:
- Reduce the instrumental (and its respective vocal) speed, which means reducing the tempo and the pitch at the same time by one semitone equivalency, so the Chester's vocals doesn't sound so "wrong";
- Replace the chorus from "One More Light" at the 2nd half of the mash by the original vocals of "One Million Reasons" or keeping using the "Heavy" chorus' duet part as replacement;
- A bit of soft reverb on Gaga's parts would help as well, since the sounding of those seems too flat to be appreciated (even though it doesn't bother me as much as it would do to a mod, I guess :1rolleyes: )

ANYWAYS... It's Up To You, Mate!
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

Re: One More Heavy Reason - Lady Gaga & Linkin Park

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

I agree with you about the combo, b_romeo--they do fit nicely together! You’ve done a great job with the timing and all the compositional elements here. Gladilord’s suggestions about swapping around the vocal parts are certainly a nice idea, but totally up to you and what you would like to do creatively.

However, when it comes to the mix and technical stuff, what Gladilord has brought up are pretty significant to the quality of the final product here. How many semitones exactly have you moved Chester’s vocals? Some key stretches are just too much to make sound good, and this one is definitely sitting on the borderline right now. As he recommended, slowing down the whole track by 6% (one semitone) with the old “tape speed” method might help as it would bringing the songs a semitone closer.

The Gaga vocals sound like a lower-quality version (like a DIY filtered version) of the file. I’m guessing you could find a better version if you went on another hunt, but if not, adding some reverb as Gladi suggested, and tinkering with it’s EQ also, would certainly help it fit in with the mix better. Alternatively, you could just use the full version of “Million Reasons” and just splice/crossfade those parts together with the instrumental version to get the sound of the original mix.

Again, the track is great conceptually and musically! Just hoping we can polish up some of the minor technical scratches and scuffs and bring it close to perfection!

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:19 am

Personally, I don't have any issues with the pitch of Chester's voice. It matches the instrumental well and doesn't sound "chipmunk-ish." If the quality of the Lady Gaga vocals were better I would recommend this.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm

I understand what Satis5d is saying. If you have a Multiband compresser you could tame those high sharp frequencies on Gaga. Both vocals feel like they also need some reduction in the mids to lower their muddiness (not too much). Pretty cool combo all around.

1 star User

Post Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

GladiLord wrote:- Replace the chorus from "One More Light" at the 2nd half of the mash by the original vocals of "One Million Reasons" or keeping using the "Heavy" chorus' duet part as replacement;

I played around with the vocal parts, but I prefer how they are currently arranged :1cool: .

MashGyver wrote:How many semitones exactly have you moved Chester’s vocals?

Chesters vocals have been transposed 3 (heavy) and 4 (one more light) semitones.

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Both vocals feel like they also need some reduction in the mids to lower their muddiness (not too much). Pretty cool combo all around.

Glad you liked it! Does 'reduction in the mids' refer to volume? :1embarassed:

I'll upload two V2s. One with the vocals and instrumentals both transposed so that the vocals are closer to their original sound - however I feel the change in Lady Gagas vocals are worse off compared to when Chester is changed. The other one will be with everything as is, but some added reverb and volume adjustments.

1 star User

Re: (!) One More Heavy Reason - Lady Gaga & Linkin Park

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:37 pm

V2 with some reverb on Gaga is up

Post Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Sorry. i was talking about Frequencies in the mids. Version 2 is good.

1 star User

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Bump :1undecided:

2 Star User

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:28 am

ahahaha - I really like the Chester vocals - you've turned him into a pop boy band vocalist and that made me smile a lot & I recon if you view them as such they're a perfect fit <3

It's a little muddy in the middle still I think, but idk what you should be doing about that...I'd be fab'ing the instrumental I think to drop the middle a little and push a tiny bit more of the dynamics, but I'm not the right person to tell you how it's done technically, and all that aside I love it as it stands - lovely feelzy ballad

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>