(FP) I Started This Golden Shit (Ice Cube vs Golden Axe 2)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP) I Started This Golden Shit (Ice Cube vs Golden Axe 2)

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Ice Cube - Hello acapella
Golden Axe 2 - Credits instrumental

This mashup mixes the acapella from Ice Cube's "Hello" with the "Credits" music from the Golden Axe 2 soundtrack. It's Track #2 of my new EP, free download at http://8bitmullet.com/mashups1

No Flash Installed

Download:
https://alan-brymer-r6kc.squarespace.com/s/I-Started-This-Golden-Shit.mp3

phpBB [media]

Re: I Started This Golden Shit (Ice Cube vs Golden Axe 2)

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:53 am

This is fun to check out, because I remember playing Golden Axe 2 when it was new, and I thought it was so fun.

Unfortunately, I realized after listening that I hadn't retained any musical memory of the game. The combo of the instrumental and vocals works pretty well, though. It almost reminds me of some tracks off of Kool Keith's Undertakerz album.

I do admit, though, that the instrumental is pretty repetitive, but that's hip hop a lot, so not a huge deal.

One thing I do think can be changed, though, is the sound of the vocals. It sounds like you put them through an erosion-like filter, maybe to make them more 'Genesis' sounding?

I don't think that's a bad idea, but I've found that particular effect to be really tough to get anywhere comfortably between the extremes of you barely being able to hear it, and it being too prominent and in turn affecting the vocals negatively.

Maybe a reverb would help, or toning down whatever distorting effect is on the vocals (hopefully it's not the vocal track itself). How they sit now, they feel loud and very much up in front of the instrumental, as opposed to sitting in with it.

Curious to hear other opinions!
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

1 star User

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks for the feedback. I rarely get so much good advice elsewhere. I don't remember what I did to the vocals here. Not sure I added any effects, maybe went crazy with the EQ?

I'll open up my session and check it out, but I wish Youtube would let you replace a video once it's published as I usually don't feel like going back and producing/uploading again, or mastering. Yall are making me want to share audios here first!

3 Star User

Post Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:04 am

This is great. I'll have to check out your entire EP.

8bitmullet wrote:I wish Youtube would let you replace a video once it's published as I usually don't feel like going back and producing/uploading again, or mastering.

It would be too easy to rick-roll the universe. Once the AI can tell the video is "essentially the same", then maybe.

8bitmullet wrote:Yall are making me want to share audios here first!

Yes, this is the solution.

Post Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Great mashin'. You got my recommend. I have just a few recommendations.

I agree with YITT about the effects. 1:28 has an filer effect on the vocals that pull it into the bit world very well. I don't think you would have to go that extreme with it but a little EQ would help the vocals sit better. Also, I notice Dre slipping out a time a little in the last verse. He may need a little shifting here and there.

Overall, a very creative mash. Hope we get more 8 Bit soundtracks from you. :1smiley:

1 star User

Re: (!) I Started This Golden Shit (Ice Cube vs Golden Axe 2

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:02 am

Really original and creative. Thanx for this combo.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I agree with YITT about the effects. 1:28 has an filer effect on the vocals that pull it into the bit world very well. I don't think you would have to go that extreme with it but a little EQ would help the vocals sit better. Also, I notice Dre slipping out a time a little in the last verse. He may need a little shifting here and there.

Overall, a very creative mash. Hope we get more 8 Bit soundtracks from you. :1smiley:

+1

Not my cup, but it's sounds good :1smiley:
Are we going to see a new version soon?

Re: (!) I Started This Golden Shit (Ice Cube vs Golden Axe 2

Post Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:26 am

i like this combo, effectively, as sais HTC, " Dre slipping out a time a little in the last verse. He may need a little shifting here and there"

So ... i'm still waiting for a V2 :1wink:

Hope my friends mods are not angry after me for putting it on the frontpage before the V2 :1embarassed:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>