[FP] Don Hector - Ladi Dadi Rules (Dua Lipa vs Steve Aoki)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

[FP] Don Hector - Ladi Dadi Rules (Dua Lipa vs Steve Aoki)

Post Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:50 am

Don Hector - Ladi Dadi Rules (Dua Lipa vs Steve Aoki & Tommy Trash)

Dua Lipa - New Rules [Acapella]
Steve Aoki - Lady Dadi (Tommy Trash Remix) [Instrumental]

V1

No Flash Installed

V2

No Flash Installed

V3

No Flash Installed

Download (V3)
Last edited by Don Hector on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Don Hector - Ladi Dadi Rules (Dua Lipa vs Steve Aoki)

Post Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

You consistently bring it. Kudos.

Spectrally, when the vocals hit, I felt it was all mids and crowded. The drop alleviated this but still maybe play with the EQ/mix to help Ms. Lipa out.

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 am

This is great! :1cool:

I agree with Warezio. You need to EQ a hole into the instrumental in Dua's range. I also think she could use some epic delay and reverb to match instrumental style. The editing is great man.

I have some creative feedback as well. At 3:00 cut the word "one" right at the drop. I think it will be stronger after the cool count down you made before it. :1wink:

1 star User

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 am

warezio wrote:You consistently bring it. Kudos.

Happy Cat Disco wrote:This is great!

Thanks amigos!

warezio wrote:Spectrally, when the vocals hit, I felt it was all mids and crowded. The drop alleviated this but still maybe play with the EQ/mix to help Ms. Lipa out.

I put some sidechain on the vocals at the drop so this is possibly what alleviated it.
Happy Cat Disco wrote:I agree with Warezio. You need to EQ a hole into the instrumental in Dua's range. I also think she could use some epic delay and reverb to match instrumental style. The editing is great man.

I didn't want to mess around too much with the instrumental to not ruin it but it looks like I'll have to. I've not touched it yet so that's the good news :1laugh:

I'll stick some delay and reverb on it :1smiley:

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I have some creative feedback as well. At 3:00 cut the word "one" right at the drop. I think it will be stronger after the cool count down you made before it.

I personally don't see that working as she starts her counting of her 'new rules' from 1 again :1undecided:

Another thing for mastering - when I put my mashup and the instrumental into Traktor, my mashup appears thinner. I believe this is to do with my mastering but I'm not too sure what to do to fix this. Any help with that? :1huh:

Post Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:53 am

Regarding the Level Increase;

Do you have a (infinite) limiter? Like This.

Quick and dirty
1. If so place it on your master track.
2. Increase the volume of both instrumentals and vocals until the master limiter begins to compress the occasional transient.
3. Now Pull your threshold down to the desired RMS level. (-10 RMS peak should do it.) You need something to tell you the RMS in real time. LIKE THIS: The Detect would need to read "RMS" not "Peak"

Note: Mastered dance tracks typically hit -8 or -9 RMS. I never go that low unless there is a tremendous amount of bass.

More Tedious but Personal
1. If so place it on your master track.
2. Get a Mastering Limiter like Slate Digital FG-X and and finess that sucker until you're getting your desired RMS level... without destroying your transients or "breathing" the limiter. LIKE THIS: Note the RMS and Peak Meters side by side on the bottom.

Post Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:This is great! :1cool:

I agree with Warezio. You need to EQ a hole into the instrumental in Dua's range. I also think she could use some epic delay and reverb to match instrumental style. The editing is great man.

I have some creative feedback as well. At 3:00 cut the word "one" right at the drop. I think it will be stronger after the cool count down you made before it. :1wink:

+1

I like it much, nothing else from my side, waiting for next verison :1wink:

Post Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 am

This is very close to being front-page worthy. I hope we'll see that second version soon.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.audio

1 star User

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:00 pm

That's V2 up :1smiley:

Thanks HCD, I stuck a glue compressor on the master to get it nice and fat :1tongue:

I've also;
Made it a short edit
EQ'd a hole in the instrumental to help Dua sit better
EQ'd Dua for greater clarity
Fiddled a little with Dua's volume throughout

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:21 am

Nice little dance number you got here, Don!

Listening to both versions, the EQing you’ve done has definitely helped. Dua still needs a volume boost in my opinion, but she is more more clear in V2.

I second HCD’s suggestion about adding Delays and/or Reverb throughout. You could play with some of Ableton’s stock effects (Chorus/Phaser/Flanger) too for some interesting sounds to sprinkle in parts, but that’s all up to you.

The way it is currently, it still getsImage

By the way, I love your edits in the “build”! Cool stuff!

1 star User

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 am

MashGyver wrote:Nice little dance number you got here, Don!

Listening to both versions, the EQing you’ve done has definitely helped. Dua still needs a volume boost in my opinion, but she is more more clear in V2.

I second HCD’s suggestion about adding Delays and/or Reverb throughout. You could play with some of Ableton’s stock effects (Chorus/Phaser/Flanger) too for some interesting sounds to sprinkle in parts, but that’s all up to you.

The way it is currently, it still getsImage

By the way, I love your edits in the “build”! Cool stuff!

Thanks MashGyver :1smiley:

I did add a little reverb and delay to Dua but when I added more it just made the whole mashup sound too saturated if that makes sense? Like it didn't really have much breathing space (The instrumental does that enough already :1laugh: )

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>