satis5d - I Need You In The City (The 1975 vs INXS)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Post Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Nothing fancy...just a fresh taste of the "satis5d sound" :1wink:

The 1975 - The City [instrumental]
INXS - I Need You Tonight [acapella]

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Download
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Re: satis5d - I Need You In The City (The 1975 vs INXS)

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 am

Love the opening.

The first verse sounded a bit off to me, e.g., circa 0:35. Maybe the instrumental is tuned sharp? Or sliding between notes perhaps. "so slide over here" at 0:54 sounds fine to me, but "I need you tonight" at 1:28 also sounds funny to me (the "night" note; "sweat" sounded good).

Is "The City" using an atypical mode?

Post Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 pm

Great fun! Some really nice moments here!

warezio wrote:Is "The City" using an atypical mode?
Sounds like a pretty standard C major chord progression--problem is that the vocals for I Need You Tonight are very C minor (although the instrumental has plenty of C major moments.) The good news is that a lot of it is ambiguous enough that it works. I don’t know how much you want to meddle with such an iconic melody but I’ll give you my rundown:

The spots warezio mentions, mainly the E♭s over the C chords (in the 1st and 3rd phrase of the 1st verse) seem to be the biggest offenders. The “I need you tonight” at 1:28 and the “makes me sweat” soon thereafter might sound better down 3 semitones in the relative minor, or it might sound better over the C chord a few bars earlier (you started the second verse on a different part of the progression as you did the first.) Also, the responses in the call-and-response section (“I’m lonely”; “can’t take it all”; “gonna live my life”) are also a bit too minor for this instrumental for my tastes. Others may disagree.

I think you could also take some of the response vocals down 3 semitones and “majorize” them, but I do like how some of them sound too, especially toward the end (the final “I’m lonely” is excellent, for example.)

Curious to hear some other opinions about this one...

As far as the mix, did you widen Michael Hutchence’s vocals here? In general they seem to sit outside of the mix, and I’m wondering how they would sound untouched... :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 am

Here's the spots I think could be spot pitched to be in key, counteracting the major/minor issues:

1:30 - "tonight" sounds off - not sure how to fix, because I usually just pitch parts up or down semi-blindly until they sound good to me.

2:05 - "live the life" I feel like this would be better altered in pitch

2:20 - "I've got to let you know" sounds like it could be raised to be more major, but probably not all the notes, so this stuff is hard to describe how to fix without experimentation for me (the downfall of 'by ear' music-ing)

2:52 - "Live life (I think that's what it says) sounds like it could be more major

3:17 - Anal, but the "know" sounds like it could be majored up a semitone (?), and "got" right after

That's really all I heard key-wise, and adding a bit to what MashGyver mentioned about the vocals being slightly out of place, I feel that simply lowering them a bit would fix this. You could also try adding reverb, but I like the crispness of them now, so I'd try simply lowering them a bit and see if they stand out less.

If I was to give a percentage, I'd say this one is 92% to the front page, and I say that with my hard ass hat on. Besides the minor/major thing, and slight vocal loudness/stand out..edness, I think this is great, and very 80's inspired, both sources accounted!

edit: This is YITT, saying this, btw. I think it's safe to come out and say I'm both YITT and Star Man at this point. Sorry to any that needed a seat to take this in, but I am sick of deleting and reposting things I say due to my carelessness as alter egos at this point, heh. YITT fans like mainstream stuff, and Star Man typically sits in the non-mainstream niche, so I made his identity for music I enjoy but most aren't super into, so I hope this explains the multiple personality disorder! :1cool:
Star Man audiovisual transmission logs: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqb33w ... ns9DMeHKgA

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 am

edit: This is YITT, saying this, btw. I think it's safe to come out and say I'm both YITT and Star Man at this point. Sorry to any that needed a seat to take this in, but I am sick of deleting and reposting things I say due to my carelessness as alter egos at this point, heh. YITT fans like mainstream stuff, and Star Man typically sits in the non-mainstream niche, so I made his identity for music I enjoy but most aren't super into, so I hope this explains the multiple personality disorder! :1cool:

Can confirm. I am Star Man! ★ :1cool:
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Star Man is YITT?!?

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:47 pm

I have to admit that I really love the Star Man persona and that while it was still a mystery (which you pulled off for much longer than I expected you to be able to) I was enthralled by the concept. Kudos!

Version2 of this mashup is coming soon.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Version 2 is up!

In the end most of the corrections were made by adding or subtracting 20-30 cents worth of pitch to the problem notes. Transposing the vocals sounded very unsatisfying in this application.

I also cooled down the vocals overall and reduced the delay effect by about 30% to help the vocals sit better with the instrumental.

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys! :1grin:

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:46 pm

This is really good Satis5d. Pull your vocals into melodyne and change all Eb's to E and all Ab's to A and it should work out. :1smiley:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>