Something Just Like 2017 (46 songs of 2017)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Re: Something Just Like 2017 (45 songs of 2017)

Post Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Version 4!
* more reverb, and panning and volume adjustments
* some samples changed to help flow better
* pitch of "Human" and "Million Reasons" adjusted
* lowered the volume of the "Believer" drums at 3:33 a bit

MashGyver wrote:As far as the key stuff, nothing sounds too bad, even the “fifthy” stuff. Rag n’ Bones Man seems slightly flat, I think (I think we ran into the same issue when you mashed it with Daft Punk, right?) Gaga’s pitch is a bit suspect in this, but I think her slowed-down tempo magnifies this.

The trouble is that Gaga has a strong vibrato, which is indeed magnified by the tempo change. Human was flat though, as we have previously discovered :)

2 Star User

Post Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:53 pm

This is one cool multimashup Drazile :1cool:
You did a great job composing all those songs together. Nice work! :1smiley:

But, why do you render your Mp3s at 192kbs straight from your DAW?
I use to render my mix to WAW, then reopen it before mastering..
Then you can render to Mp3 keeping all of the frequencies from the mix lossless.
I use unicode 320kbs.
This is maybe not the correct way of doing it?
but for me it works keeping the clarity and dynamics in a track.

Ps! you should not rush the Youtube posting you have plenty of time still, the year isn't over my friend :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:08 pm

This is great. I agree with the general sentiment of not rushing it, it'll be out there much longer than it takes you to put it together. You might want to "let it rest" for a few days and give it a final critical listen before releasing.

I'm particularly impressed at the natural transitions in the instrumental: no tape stop plugins, water noises, or other dirty tricks necessary. Kudos.

Post Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 am

Drazile wrote:
SMASH wrote:In addition there are couple of areas which the vocals sound lost in the mix, especially in the beginning.

Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you mean :1huh:

I meant that some of the sources sound too low at certain locations like 0:29, 0:34, 0:42 and in the verses at 1:09 and 2:24.
Same in version 4, the ending from 4:09 still sounds busy to me :1undecided:

1 star User

Post Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 am

Version 5! I actually think this is the final version now, will actually post tomorrow probably. I'm getting tired of working on this :1tongue:

* squeezed in "Wolves" by Selena Gomez and Marshmello, as the song met my popularity requirements this past week
* changed the timing of "Castle on The Hill" at 0:42
* more subtle volume, EQ, panning and compression tweaks

SMASH wrote:I meant that some of the sources sound too low at certain locations like 0:29, 0:34, 0:42 and in the verses at 1:09 and 2:24.
Unfortunately, all of those sources are examples of poor DIY acapellas that are missing most low and high frequencies. While I could make them louder to bring up those frequencies, the middle frequencies would be too loud in comparison.

Re: Something Just Like 2017 (46 songs of 2017)

Post Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Good. The edits are good. Sam Smith and Pink are out of key but everything else is solid.

I can hear the hard time compression are your instrumentals and it sounds very mono. I'm over looking that concern because of the work your put in and the melodies and lyrics are all solid.

Because you are dealing with so many DIY acapellas it's always very important to try and maintain the instrumental quality the best you can. A subtle time change is fine but when you start cutting into the instrumentals dynamics it never comes out clean. Lastly, never pitch and instrumental without time correction (vari-speed) unless you are making a meme.

Overall this is very pleasant man. :1smiley:

Post Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:11 am

satis5d wrote:Some of your vocal sources, particularly near the very early part of the mix sound less than optimal quality-wise.

I thought the same thing when listening to DJ Earworm's 2017 mashup, so at least you're in good company.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>