(FP) You Give Bad at Love a Name (Halsey vs. Bon Jovi)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) You Give Bad at Love a Name (Halsey vs. Bon Jovi)

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Warezio - You Give Bad at Love a Name (Halsey vs. Bon Jovi)

Halsey - Bad at Love (acapella)
Bon Jovi - You Give Love a Bad Name (stems)

Hat tip to HCD's DIY acapella checklist.

Version 2.5: (Version 2 + 0.5db guitar/snare)

No Flash Installed

Version 3: (a +0.7 / i -2.3)

No Flash Installed

Version 2: (reJovinated instrumental)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (timing tweak, snare boost)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 2.5 download link
Last edited by warezio on Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Re: You Give Bad at Love a Name (Halsey vs. Bon Jovi)

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:14 am

That's what i call a genre clash !
good job Warezio

RECOMMEND

Re: (!) You Give Bad at Love a Name (Halsey vs. Bon Jovi)

Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Very fun idea and great title! And the ending was a great touch!

My only real complaint is about the mix of the instrumental. It is missing some punch and power that the original had. I think a lot of is due to the pitch change. You’ve lost a lot of high-end clarity there (very noticeable in the Bon Jovi vocals.) Could you bring Halsey up a semitone and meet her in the middle or is that pushing it with the DIY vocals? I also think the guitars are a bit low in the mix and/or the keys are maybe too hot. Of course they all probably use a treble boost.

By the way, the Halsey DIY sounds pretty good to me--you’ve done a good job with that.

Also the cut right before the final chord (that I like so much) sounds a few milliseconds early.

2 Star User

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:44 pm

MashGyver wrote:My only real complaint is about the mix of the instrumental. It is missing some punch and power that the original had. I think a lot of is due to the pitch change. You’ve lost a lot of high-end clarity there (very noticeable in the Bon Jovi vocals.) Could you bring Halsey up a semitone and meet her in the middle or is that pushing it with the DIY vocals? I also think the guitars are a bit low in the mix and/or the keys are maybe too hot. Of course they all probably use a treble boost.

I tried pitching Halsey but (with my available low-budget software tools :] ) formant preservation caused the instrumental bleed to detune and stand out. So I focused on trying to revive the instrumental.

For the Bon Jovi vocals, I made good progress by redoing the pitch shift from scratch, then octave doubling and hitting it with an exciter.

For the instrumental, I'm not sure I made as much progress, but the atmospherics at the end are arguably better. I tried and combination of eq and exciter on shifted tracks.

MashGyver wrote:Also the cut right before the final chord (that I like so much) sounds a few milliseconds early.

I believe I have corrected this.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 am

warezio wrote:I tried pitching Halsey but (with my available low-budget software tools :] ) formant preservation caused the instrumental bleed to detune and stand out. So I focused on trying to revive the instrumental.

For the Bon Jovi vocals, I made good progress by redoing the pitch shift from scratch, then octave doubling and hitting it with an exciter.

For the instrumental, I'm not sure I made as much progress, but the atmospherics at the end are arguably better. I tried and combination of eq and exciter on shifted tracks.

I believe I have corrected this.

Improvement is noticed in the “ReJovinated” :1laugh: instrumental and vocals. However, did the snare boost that V1 got, get carried over into V2? Doesn’t sound like it did to me. :1undecided: Guitars seem to have more bite this time, although the keys still drown them out a bit, but maybe you’ve done that by design...

The ending definitely sounds fixed. Great work there, both creatively and technically!

As far as pitching Halsey, I don’t know if formant preservation is necessary if you only move her 1 semitone honestly. You can even try a quarter tone (50 cents) and that would be 50 cents less you’d have to move the instrumental, and an incremental amount less damage you’d cause to it…worth a try maybe?

A Front Paging is imminent--do you want to throw on one more coat of polish first?

2 Star User

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 am

MashGyver wrote:A Front Paging is imminent--do you want to throw on one more coat of polish first?

I'll have another go. At the very least, the keys are being hit more by the "high" knob in the exciter and the guitars more by the "low" knob, so I might need to adjust the relative amount of excite; and the other vocal processing ideas are worth a try. (The snare track is the same, but maybe needs to be adjusted for the new mix.)

2 Star User

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 am

Version 3 posted.

I covered the tempo difference between acapella and instrumental using varispeed instead of pitch-preserving; this turned out to be approximately 0.7 semitones. Also, I gave the guitar and snare tracks a 0.5db boost.

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 am

Nice! Super cool hearing Halsey mashed with the Bon Jovi.

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 pm

At this point I want to Front Page V2. While the instrumental is vastly improved in V3, the vocals have lost a ton of quality. If you want to try a V2½ with the guitar/snare boost I’d be happy to FP it. If not, I will go ahead with V2. Let me know what you think...

2 Star User

Post Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 pm

(Version 2.5 posted)

MashGyver wrote:At this point I want to Front Page V2. While the instrumental is vastly improved in V3, the vocals have lost a ton of quality. If you want to try a V2½ with the guitar/snare boost I’d be happy to FP it. If not, I will go ahead with V2. Let me know what you think...

No worries. She chipmunked pretty quickly without formant preservation, and also my processing chain was probably balanced on the head of a pin. With a studio acapella splitting the difference would be the way to go.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>