(FP)Jump, Super Star! (Van Halen x Super Mario Odyssey)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(FP)Jump, Super Star! (Van Halen x Super Mario Odyssey)

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:27 am

Van Halen - Jump
Super Mario Odyssey - Jump Up, Super Star!
Super Mario Bros. - Ground Theme
Super Mario World - Overworld Theme
Super Mario 64 - Bob-omb Battlefield

v4: [MP3PREVIEW]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nim5x5ygormsl46/jump%20super%20star%204.mp3
[/MP3PREVIEW]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nim5x5ygormsl ... ar%204.mp3

v3: [MP3PREVIEW]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/75htxj0qbctwgh9/jump%20super%20star%203.mp3[/MP3PREVIEW]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/75htxj0qbctwg ... ar%203.mp3

v1: [MP3PREVIEW]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ldtpwolf0d7gbed/jump%20super%20star%201.mp3[/MP3PREVIEW]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldtpwolf0d7gb ... ar%201.mp3

A huge part of the advertisment of Super Mario Odyssey is this very catchy track that I new I wanted to mash, but didn't think an acapella would ever be obtainable.
To my surprise, it leaked, so here we are :P
It has a lot of unusual reverb baked in, but I don't think it's too distracting.

Van Halen's Jump had to be heavily re-timed to create the illusion of a consistent tempo, meaning a cut around every two bars, but I think I pulled it off...
Last edited by Drazile on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Jump, Super Star! (Van Halen x Super Mario Odyssey)

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 pm

(added album art)

2 Star User

Post Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 pm

Damn ... you are hotter than a Pat O'Brien voicemail. I've been meaning to do something with that acapella (for obvious reasons), and I really wish I had noticed this combo.

This acapella has a melody which has been confusing me and I notice some clashing here, e.g., 0:49 - 1:00. Maybe you can bend some notes to make it work? Also the Mario synth and the Van Halen synth are really fun together, but there is some clashing happening there as well. I feel that fun factor can mitigate harmonic clash in the short term but it wears off, but if you patch these parts up you will have a lot of repeat listening potential.

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 am

Once again, Drazile, you swoop in and grab the latest acapella and come up with a great concept mashup! And everything happens to be in C major too!

I really like the counterpoint of the Mario chiptune with the VH synths. The main themes work brilliantly together, so fantastic work with that! Mario theme with the synth solo, though, isn’t quite working for me. I wonder if that’s a spot where you could dig through the library of Mario tunes (bits of the underground theme or something from a different Mario game?) and sprinkle in some more surprises there? That might turn this into a much more ambitious project though. (But if anyone enjoys an ambitious project as much as me, though, I know Drazile does! :1wink:)

Also, since the lead synth is mostly left channel, I think moving the chiptune off the right a bit would help create some better clarity and separation there.

As far as the vocals, I’m surprised at how well the first half of the pre-chorus works (and nothing really surprises me anymore!) but as warezio said, the second half is clashy, as are the vocals from 3:02 to the end. From what I can tell, she is moving up 3 semitones there, or modulating to the parallel minor. You may be able to tweak a few notes in the melody to bring her back to C major, or even re-arrange and/or re-pitch some parts of the instrumental if you’re using stems, but that’d take some doing. I don’t have any easy advice for you there, unfortunately.

And you’re right, the echoes from the acapella are not terribly distracting, but they seem very center-channel (mono) and make the vocals sit outside the mix a bit. I wonder if adding some more wide stereo delays (like a Ping Pong Delay) would add the aural illusion of width and disguise the baked-in delays better? Worth at least toying around with…No foul if it doesn’t work.

All in all, great tune you've got here. I only tear it apart because I like it so much :1tongue:

Post Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 am

Agree with the others, great concept here, and I think it's worth trying to resolve those issues mentioned :1wink:

1 star User

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:14 am

Hmm, the chorus does indeed go up to Eb...

I've updated the first post with two new versions: 2.1, with the pitch of the chorus vox turned down three semitones, and v2.2, with the pitch of the chorus varying between -3 to +2 to try fix single notes. I'm leaning towards 2.1, but it's still far from perfect.

I may have to try pitching Jump's instrumental stems to match the chord progression of JUSS...

Anyway, both new versions also have the following changes:
* some small but wide reverb of the vox
* panned the SMB synth further to the right
* added the melodies of Super Mario World's ground theme and Super Mario 64's Bob-Omb Battlefield to the solo section
* some small timing changes

2 Star User

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:48 pm

I like 2.1 . However the 3-pitched-down vox lost some high end presence, and the transition is noticeable. Maybe you can bring it back somehow? Things that I would try: eq, exciter, octave doubling, wide high reverb ... or bounce the vocal track to MashGyver and have him do it in Melodyne :).

Actually, listening again, I think the 3-pitched-down vox went mono by mistake? Maybe that's the problem.

Post Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 am

Definite improvement, Drazile!

We can hear that harmonically things work better in both V2.1 and V2.2, but those pitch shifts without formant preservation hurt this mashup's seamlessness in my opinion, and that was what I was worried about in the first place.

Additionally, I wasn’t sure about my “changing-the-chords” idea either, but I tried it myself to some surprisingly good results (1st half of the demo below). I also tried to re-pitch the chorus with formant preservation, as warezio was suggesting (I tried it with Melodyne, but I think Ableton did a better job with this particular vocal), and that is what you’ll hear in the second half of the below demo. My personal opinion is that changing the instrumental sounds better than changing the vocals. I would just advise you to re-pitch the instrumental stems, just not the drums:

No Flash Installed

As far as the chiptunes, the panning helps a lot. I think they could probably still come up in volume, especially the ones during the solo. And do you have 2 tunes going on at 2:30? It gets a bit overwhelming there, even for me, but if you like it that way I would still try to pan the middle track slightly to the right and/or boost their high-end and cut their mids and lows to pull them out of the mud there.

I’m also noticing this time there is a slight tuning discrepancy between the track, and the original Mario theme…my ears tell me the chiptune is a few cents flat, but again, hard to tell without playing with it.

--------------------------------------------

Slightly off topic, I realized that we’d all heard that exact key change at the chorus before, so I felt like I had to try this:

No Flash Installed

But for me it ends there. But anyone else who wants to take on “The Neverending Odyssey” is welcome to! :1wink:

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:49 am

MashGyver wrote:We can hear that harmonically things work better in both V2.1 and V2.2, but those pitch shifts without formant preservation hurt this mashup's seamlessness in my opinion, and that was what I was worried about in the first place.

Additionally, I wasn’t sure about my “changing-the-chords” idea either, but I tried it myself to some surprisingly good results (1st half of the demo below). I also tried to re-pitch the chorus with formant preservation, as warezio was suggesting (I tried it with Melodyne, but I think Ableton did a better job with this particular vocal), and that is what you’ll hear in the second half of the below demo. My personal opinion is that changing the instrumental sounds better than changing the vocals. I would just advise you to re-pitch the instrumental stems, just not the drums:

No Flash Installed

Thanks for the advice! Would you be able to slide me an Ableton-repitched copy of the acapella? I'm going to try a mix of both. While pitching the instrumental works great for the choruses, it sounds pretty weird in the ending.

1 star User

Post Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:34 am

Version 3 is up!

* pitched some of the Jump stems in the choruses to match the vocals
* Ableton-quality pitched vocals at the end, courtesy of MashGyver
* only one melody is playing at 2:30 now, not two
* some small volume and panning adjustments

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>