Another Brick in These Walls (Kendrick Lamar vs. Pink Floyd)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Another Brick in These Walls (Kendrick Lamar vs. Pink Floyd)

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 am

Cryoclaste - Another Brick in These Walls (Kendrick Lamar vs. Pink Floyd)

Sources:
1. Kendrick Lamar - These Walls
2. Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2

It's been a while guys, I've finally decided to get another track on the way, lemme know what you think :1wink:

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Download

Re: Another Brick in These Walls (Kendrick Lamar vs. Pink Floyd)

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:07 pm

Cool idea, Cryoclaste…those jazzy chords in that instrumental, though…they are something else :1shocked:

I don’t have the time to give you much of an analysis at the moment, but I have a feeling that to make this work you’d need to pitch-shift those vocals all over the place. The call-and-response parts “We don’t need no education / with you, with you, with you” may be easier because you only have half of those chords to contend with, but I think you'll have some work to do to make this one gel.

By the way, this has to be a cover of the Pink Floyd track...right?

2 Star User

Post Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I want this to work because both sources are awesome and the genre clash is extreme, but there is some kind of harmonic dissonance holding me back. It's way above my pay grade, but: the sheet music for These Walls had some really interesting progressions (e.g., AbMaj7-Gm7-C11-Fmaj7-Dbmaj9-C11), whereas ABITWp2 seems more straightforward (bouncing around G/Dm/F/C). So the AbMaj7 sticks out as not matching anything, maybe it is the source of difficulty; or maybe the major-minor clash of the G is causing trouble? Figuring it out would be a learning experience.

Post Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 am

warezio wrote:These Walls had some really interesting progressions (e.g., AbMaj7-Gm7-C11-Fmaj7-Dbmaj9-C11), whereas ABITWp2 seems more straightforward (bouncing around G/Dm/F/C). So the AbMaj7 sticks out as not matching anything, maybe it is the source of difficulty; or maybe the major-minor clash of the G is causing trouble? Figuring it out would be a learning experience.
Nice research, warezio…interesting indeed. “Another Brick” is pretty straightforward D Dorian, hence those four chords, while “These Walls” seems to be in the key of "jazz.” :1tongue: It’s loosely based around C Mixolydian, but substitutes a few chords, and jumps outside a lot. I wouldn’t expect many melodies to work over these chords without a ton of "melodic intervention."

Honestly the best I could imagine the Pink Floyd vocals sounding harmonically over this instrumental, without manipulating 2/3s of the notes of the melody, would be to transpose it to G Dorian, so up a whopping 5 semitones. Can’t imagine that would sound great no matter the software, but you might try it just to see how it sounds...

Unfortunately you picked a really tough instrumental, Cryoclaste. Can’t help you much here.

Post Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:08 am

Ambition combination :1smiley:
MashGyver wrote:Unfortunately you picked a really tough instrumental, Cryoclaste. Can’t help you much here.

Unfortunately, I agree with the others, don't know how to help either :1cry:

2 Star User

Maybe I can help here...

Post Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 am

So... the tempo seems here to be ok, but the fact that the verses sound OOK, i would reccomend to pitch up 2 semitones the 1st verse's vocals (especially at the parts he says "We don't need no...", "No dark sarcasm..." and "Teachers leave the...", while piching down 1 semitone the remaining track.

That may work best if you have Melodyne with you to help it.

ANYWAYS... hope you enjoy :1cool:
When silly crosses serious... GladiLord is always near. :1grin:

1 star User

Post Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:23 pm

Cryoclaste wrote:Image

Cryoclaste - Another Brick in These Walls (Kendrick Lamar vs. Pink Floyd)

Sources:
1. Kendrick Lamar - These Walls
2. Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2

It's been a while guys, I've finally decided to get another track on the way, lemme know what you think :1wink:

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Download

Cool Idea! sounds good!!
the end is a little rough but maybe if the vocals were cut up a bit and you messed with the pitch a little.. idk
thats whats dope about mashing and bootleggin its not supposed to always sound "perfect"

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>