(FP) Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(FP) Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Warezio - Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do (acapella)
Bush - Everything's Zen (stems [relatively poor quality especially the drum track])

Deja vu: a problematic Taylor Swift DIY acapella and a Bush instrumental. Sometimes you go to mash with the sources you have, not the sources you want.

Any tips on processing the acapella / mix to clean it up?

Version 6: (vocal rephrase @ 3:21)

No Flash Installed

Version 5: (vocal processing changes)

No Flash Installed

Version 4: (verse vocal +2)

No Flash Installed

Version 3: (vocal overdrive)

No Flash Installed

Version 2: (instrumental cleanups)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (different acapella)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 6 download link
Last edited by warezio on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

2 Star User

Re: Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:27 pm

(Version 1 posted.)

A new acapella dropped today, with different strengths and weaknesses. I used it in some places.

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 am

The combination works, and I'm tempted to recommend this, but something is holding me back. I'm hoping that it's not my distaste for Taylor's new song. (Seriously, what sane artist would abandon a style of music that has not only made her fabulously rich, but also famous while being generally well-liked?) :1huh:

The instrumental doesn't sound very "crisp" but 70's music is going to be like that. Maybe you need to rough up Taylor's vocals to match.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:05 am

satis5d wrote:Maybe you need to rough up Taylor's vocals to match.

I'm willing to try, but I don't know what I'm doing. (I usually take the acapella close to as is, and maybe just chorus it or verb it to flesh it out.) I'll ask the internet, but if you have specific suggestions I'd love to hear them.

satis5d wrote:The combination works, and I'm tempted to recommend this, but something is holding me back. I'm hoping that it's not my distaste for Taylor's new song. (Seriously, what sane artist would abandon a style of music that has not only made her fabulously rich, but also famous while being generally well-liked?)

I think I'm finally getting Taylor. I loved the rocker image (e.g., Motley Crue) as a kid: out of control, the rules don't apply to them, and somehow it still works out. She's the girl version of that: she absolutely and publicly torches multiple personal and working relationships and yet drops a track like this and it breaks streaming records. Switching up the style is just another crazy move that shouldn't work but somehow does and this drives Swifties into ecstasy.

Of all the stuff my kids listen to, I want to mash her up constantly. Why? It's not because of the technical properties of her voice :1tongue: but rather than raw emotional content of the lyric.

2 Star User

Post Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

(Version 2 posted).

I was able to help that clippy drum track out by running a clip fix, and help the guitar track out by adding some stereo width.

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 am

Interesting combo, warezio, but something still isn't working for me with Swift vocals in this mix :1undecided:
Maybe you should use some kind of sounds effect to wrap her voice, like Distortion or Flanger, to make her sit more natural on this rough mental.

2 Star User

Post Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 pm

(Version 3 posted)

satis5d wrote:Maybe you need to rough up Taylor's vocals to match.

SMASH wrote:Maybe you should use some kind of sounds effect to wrap her voice, like Distortion or Flanger, to make her sit more natural on this rough mental.

I read a bit about distortion and then tried some stuff. It was fun, and eventually I got a sound I liked from a plugin called CamelCrusher. Hopefully I didn't overdo it.

By the way this kind of "make the acepella fit the instrumental stylistically" is not something I have considered historically. Mashstix feedback is very good at hitting the ZPD.

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 am

i like this combo and it's well executed ! good job !

RECOMMEND

Re: (!) Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:10 pm

The concept and vocal effects are great but the vocals sound out of key to me.

2 Star User

Re: (!) Everything You Made Me Do (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:The concept and vocal effects are great but the vocals sound out of key to me.

I know what you mean, especially at the beginning. The chorus sounds good, Taylor is basically on Am the whole time and Bush is going Am/F/G (I think?) which works. But the intro and verse, Bush goes to Em and that may be fifth-ing things up. If so I have to bend some notes.

I'll sleep on this and maybe some expert ears will weigh in.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>