(!)Uptown Frunkp (Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars v Alphonse Brown)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!)Uptown Frunkp (Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars v Alphonse Brown)

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am

Cryoclaste - Uptown Frunkp (Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars vs. Alphonse Brown)

Sources:
1. Instrumental : Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
2. Acapella : Alphonse Brown - Le Frunkp (DIY acapella)

Something I made purely for the play on the names, but even before the current Mashoff, unfortunately. I polished it up and here it is, Uptown Frunkp!

Version 3

No Flash Installed

Download
Version 2

No Flash Installed

Version 1

No Flash Installed

Last edited by Cryoclaste on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Uptown Frunkp (Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars vs. Alphonse Brown)

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 am

Not familiar with this track or the movie it’s from, but I read up a bit about this fictional brother of James Brown :1laugh:

It works really well…the chorus (where the backup girls sing “Alphonse Brown” is a lot of fun! Did you make the DIY acapella yourself or just find it?

You’ve done a great job editing and structuring this to work--it’s clear you know what you’re doing compositionally here.

A few things I’d recommend trying with those DIY vocals:
* I’m wondering if there are any high-end frequencies in the DIY that you could bring out by EQ’ing it…It’s a bit muffled at the moment and a treble boost could add some clarity to it. Sometimes, though, in the DIY’ing process certain frequencies are removed altogether.
* The vocals in the choruses could come up a lot, too, especially the backup girls.
* A bit of reverb or some subtle echoes (delays) could do wonders to those vocals as well.

I’m about ready to recommend it, though. I’m just wondering if you can polish those vocals any more...

1 star User

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:54 am

MashGyver wrote:It works really well…the chorus (where the backup girls sing “Alphonse Brown” is a lot of fun! Did you make the DIY acapella yourself or just find it?

I made the acapella myself, from the original track and an instrumental I found. Because of that, some of the music still remains in the acapella, which is why I had to play with the EQ settings.

MashGyver wrote:A few things I’d recommend trying with those DIY vocals:
* I’m wondering if there are any high-end frequencies in the DIY that you could bring out by EQ’ing it…It’s a bit muffled at the moment and a treble boost could add some clarity to it. Sometimes, though, in the DIY’ing process certain frequencies are removed altogether.
* The vocals in the choruses could come up a lot, too, especially the backup girls.
* A bit of reverb or some subtle echoes (delays) could do wonders to those vocals as well.

I’m about ready to recommend it, though. I’m just wondering if you can polish those vocals any more...

I hope you'll be convinced by this new version then, I tried to bring out the high-end frequencies a bit more, without hearing too much of the instrumental artifacts, slight reverb has been added, which makes the track a lot less "flat" and boosted the chorus' vocals. :1cheesy:

No Flash Installed

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Version 2 sounds FP-worthy to me.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Re: (!)Uptown Frunkp (Mark Ronson & Bruno Mars v Alphonse Brown)

Post Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Bumping so I can give it a listen later.

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm

So, I finally got a chance to listen, Cryoclaste. V2 is a marked improvement over V1, and just about FP-worthy. But maybe I overestimated how much the vocals needed to come up in my last response...I’m afraid now that the vocals are too loud. They sound nice and clear now with the treble boost (which also might have put their perceived volume over the edge), and the reverb definitely helped put them closer to seeming like they are in the same space as the instrumental. But now they are overpowering the instrumental, and their DIY-ness is really made more evident at this volume. Cut ‘em back a few decibels and I think you’ve got a winner!

1 star User

Post Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:38 pm

This one is so much fun and culturally pedagogical as well. The quality of the DIY acapella is impressive.

If you are going in there to adjust the vocals as per MashGyver, I have a minor nit: I think the timing got a little "funky" at the end (e.g., circa 2:50), like Alphonse is coming in a bit behind the beat.

1 star User

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:15 am

MashGyver wrote:So, I finally got a chance to listen, Cryoclaste. V2 is a marked improvement over V1, and just about FP-worthy. But maybe I overestimated how much the vocals needed to come up in my last response...I’m afraid now that the vocals are too loud. They sound nice and clear now with the treble boost (which also might have put their perceived volume over the edge), and the reverb definitely helped put them closer to seeming like they are in the same space as the instrumental. But now they are overpowering the instrumental, and their DIY-ness is really made more evident at this volume. Cut ‘em back a few decibels and I think you’ve got a winner!

Yeah, I might have been a bit overenthusiastic too on the vocals, I toned them down a bit which should hide back their DIY-ness, and let people hear the music behind Alphone Brown :1laugh:

warezio wrote:This one is so much fun and culturally pedagogical as well. The quality of the DIY acapella is impressive.

If you are going in there to adjust the vocals as per MashGyver, I have a minor nit: I think the timing got a little "funky" at the end (e.g., circa 2:50), like Alphonse is coming in a bit behind the beat.

Thank you warezio, glad you like it, I have to say I got lucky to get such a clean acapella quite easily. I've touched these last vocals a bit, they should be in rhythm with the beat now.

Version 3

No Flash Installed

Download

Post Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:35 am

Version 3 sounds good though, the vocals are still too loud at times IMHO.
Anyway, lets see what MashGyver will say :1wink:

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>