(FP) Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 pm

satis5d: Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Keith Urban - Kiss A Girl (instrumental)
Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (acapella)

I may be limited until my PC gets fixed, but since this one is all done and posted on Sowndhaus already I can submit it here for consideration for the front page. This was one of my two submissions for Marjo's Best Spirit 2017.

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Download
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Re: Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Superb man - You seemed to have turned it into a dope Bryan Adams track o.O Genius

Re: Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Nicely done, sounds like an original to me :1rolleyes:

Re: (!) Kiss A Girl On The Hill (Keith Urban vs. Ed Sheeran)

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 pm

This is a fantastic combo satis5d! :1smiley: The only feedback I have is for the vocal mix before I FP this. :1smiley:

• Sheeran has a DIY sound which is fine but I'm wondering if it can cleaned a little.
    His overall energy could come up a bit. Do you have a limiter or anything to help him sound fuller?
  • You may be able to get his vocals deeper by adding just a little bump around 550Hz or so.
  • Lastly, he has a high "ess" artifact around 10.54kHz (10,540 Hz). You you do a steep Q notch there or De-ess but move the target frequency to that location. I'm pretty sure that's where it is but you may want to check around 12k as well.

Save this version in case I mess up your mix. :1wink:

2 Star User

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:25 am

Well I thought I didn't like Ed Sheeran, but now I'm thinking I just don't like his minimalist backing track ethos. The guitar in this version is much more interesting than the fuzzy amorphism in the original, and in particular supports the nostalgic lyrics during the chorus much better imho. The banjo is just a nice bonus.

I'm looking forward to the final version. (The acapella isn't that bad once the music gets going but at the very beginning it is noticeable and will presumably benefit from HCD's proposed modifications.)

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Well, I've got bad news and good news about the touch-ups. The bad news is that since this was for Marjo's compilation, I actually made it several weeks ago, and thus, I am not able to access the source file. :1undecided: The good news is that this should be the last time I ever have to say that as all the mashups I've made since upgrading ProTools|First have either already made the front page, or I have the source files. :1smiley:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 pm

satis5d wrote:Well, I've got bad news and good news about the touch-ups. The bad news is that since this was for Marjo's compilation, I actually made it several weeks ago, and thus, I am not able to access the source file. :1undecided: The good news is that this should be the last time I ever have to say that as all the mashups I've made since upgrading ProTools|First have either already made the front page, or I have the source files. :1smiley:
It sounds like at least some of HCDs feedback could be addressed post-production. It's essentially just EQing stuff you could try to apply to the fully mixed track, especially if you've got a lossless version sitting around. Even the MP3 version might work, though. Just a thought...

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:56 pm

MashGyver wrote:
satis5d wrote:It sounds like at least some of HCDs feedback could be addressed post-production. It's essentially just EQing stuff you could try to apply to the fully mixed track, especially if you've got a lossless version sitting around. Even the MP3 version might work, though. Just a thought...

I agree. Once I have things up and running again I will see if those EQ cuts can be done to the original wav file.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 am

Yeah, his voice quality is the only thing to rework here.

I always get scared, though, whenever I hear DIY. Sometimes it is easily fixed, sometimes not, so we'll see if this one is one of the more forgiving instances!
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:08 pm

Version 2 is up!

The EQ adjustments suggested by HCD have been applied.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>