(!) Warezio - Cult of Bad Blood (Taylor Swift/Living Colour)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) Warezio - Cult of Bad Blood (Taylor Swift/Living Colour)

Post Thu May 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Warezio - Cult of Bad Blood (Taylor Swift vs. Living Colour)

Taylor Swift - Bad Blood (Almost Studio Acapella) By MS Project
Living Colour - Cult Of Personality (multitrack)

Version 2 (more pitch adjust; timing tweaks)

No Flash Installed

Version 1 (timing tuneup; some pitch intervention)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 2 Download Link

I'm thinking I need to pitch adjust some individual notes here, so I'd appreciate some suggestions.
Last edited by warezio on Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Warezio - Cult of Bad Blood (Taylor Swift vs. Living Colour)

Post Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 am

I think I figured one out. It took me a while.

(Oh) it's so sad to think about_the good_times you and I
G-D-B-A-G-D-B-A-D-B-A

I turned it into a Bb.

Well I was thinking that actually looking at the sheet music would be faster or better than my usual "try random stuff until it sounds good" but now I'm not so sure: Living Colour is all over the place.

Post Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 am

Very creative, Warezio! :1grin:

I'll let MashGyver or Happy Cat Disco chime in on the pitch issues, because most of this sounded pretty good to me. However, I can tell you that you've got some timing issues to address, especially later on in the song. But that's not surprising if this is more of a concept piece than a finished product.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

1 star User

Post Fri May 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Version 1 includes a little pitch intervention and timing fixes.

I experimented with different pitch interventions but settled upon a pretty minimal one. I think it still sounds a bit dischordant in places, but maybe that is ok because Taylor is so angry. I suspected Living Colour was switching between F and G in some places, but when I dropped Taylor by two semitones in those places she suddenly sounded excessively major-y (what's the word for that?).

Post Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 pm

I’m loving this Modern Diva vs. Old Rock model you’ve got going here! And this is a very interesting combo you’ve picked!

satis5d wrote:I'll let MashGyver or Happy Cat Disco chime in on the pitch issues, because most of this sounded pretty good to me. However, I can tell you that you've got some timing issues to address, especially later on in the song. But that's not surprising if this is more of a concept piece than a finished product.
So, you’ve got Taylor in G major, and Living Colour in G Dorian mode, which is essentially the same notes as F major, but G is the tonic, or “home” note. So your analysis is not far off. Dorian songs are a bit tricky--they are somewhere between major and minor, and they have a distinctive blues/rock sound to them, which works best with other bluesy songs. It’s not a hard and fast rule, though. You’ve done some good work on that “It’s so sad” bit to make it work--sometimes the harmonic analysis can be less effective than just using your ears and tinkering around until you find something you like.

The roughest thing harmonically for me is in the verses, how every other line is full of those clashy F♯’s. e.g. at 0:29 “...I was thinking that you could be trusted…” where the bold text should all move down a semitone to F or up to G. And really any F♯’s you hear throughout should go up or down, whichever sounds best to you.

1 star User

Post Sat May 20, 2017 12:50 am

MashGyver wrote:I’m loving this Modern Diva vs. Old Rock model you’ve got going here! And this is a very interesting combo you’ve picked!

Thanks! That model is "I'm trying to get my kids addicted to guitar music". I have two daughters so now I notice that hard rock has a gender imbalance, fortunately that can be fixed in post. :1wink:

MashGyver wrote:The roughest thing harmonically for me is in the verses, how every other line is full of those clashy F♯’s. e.g. at 0:29 “...I was thinking that you could be trusted…” where the bold text should all move down a semitone to F or up to G. And really any F♯’s you hear throughout should go up or down, whichever sounds best to you.

Aha yes those F# did stand out in the sheet music. I'll play around and post a new version. I feel like, if I can avoid offending the listener during the verses, then they will hang on for the good stuff like "band-aids don't fix bulletholes" over the solo. So it's worth a bit more work.

1 star User

Post Sat May 20, 2017 11:44 am

Version 2: I adjusted almost all the F#s, except the last set, which has a slide in it so it was hard to fix. It's a vicious almost-spoken lyric so maybe it should be off anyway. Fixing these notes really makes a difference between "my ears hurt I want to stop listening" and "this is kinda fun".

I also tried to improve the timing at the very end. Living Colour does a tempo change there so it was tricky.

Post Mon May 22, 2017 6:22 am

Interesting combo, Warezio :1cool:
Version 2 sounds good to me, it looks like you cover all issues raised for previous versions, so I can say...

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>