(FP)DAW-GUN-Wolves Not Gonna Take It(TwistedSister v Digi...

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Re: DAW-GUN - Wolves Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister v Digi...

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:50 am

Gr8 Mash, but I almost want to try a phaser / mild T-pain on the vocal idk why exactly, but I think I'm maybe trying to bring the slightly harsh shouty Twisted Sister vocal and the melodic synth styles together in my head a bit more.

2 Star User

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks again for all of the constructive feedback.

MashGyver wrote:The “whoas” in the bridge are much better now…although the unchanged “we’re right, we’re free” part still doesn’t work very well harmonically.

Ugh, I wish I wasn't so tonedeaf. I elevated the whoas 2 semitones but left the rest unchanged. I'll go into Melodyne and check the actual keys of everything and try transposing properly.
MashGyver wrote:I could barely hear the guitar solo, but it did sound very nice, buried deep under the chorus.

I'll turn it up a bit and also decrease the vocal up to 0:45 as suggested by Warezio.
MashGyver wrote:The guitar also sounds mono…the second guitar comes in halfway through and should be all in the side channels…Did you get these from a MOGG file?

Yup. These parts are from a mogg. The individual tracks are stereo but the L and R channels within them are almost identical. I can easily spread them using the features of the EQ8 in Ableton. I'm happy to give that a try. One weird thing is that there is a chunky rhythm guitar during the guitar solo that was placed on the vocal track instead of it's own track. I can try using that too but I've already listened to it and it gets buried under the sonic spectrum of the Wolves track. Maybe better just to spread the stereo on the lead guitar?

Post Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Yeah, I don't think the rhythm guitar is the way to go with this particular instrumental. I was referring to the second guitar playing the harmony in the second half of the solo, which should be very wide if you listen to the TS track. Are the vocals from the MOGG too? Everything is really narrow and dry it seems like. Might just be in comparison to the more modern instrumental.

And as far as the bridge, my original post gave you a couple ways to go, but I'm curious what Melodyne says about it. It's pretty much "keyless" as I said before, so if Melodyne doesn't help, you know how to get a hold of me :1wink:

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:36 am

So I listened to the MOGG myself and I see/hear that the guitar solo was kept mono for some reason, unlike the original track. I think your best bet there is some wide reverb and maybe some subtle Ping Pong Delays to widen it.

The vocals in that MOGG, however, are really wide at the choruses, so if you’re not using the stereo vocals from that MOGG, I would recommend using them. And again a wide reverb and possibly some well-placed Ping Pong Delays would help “modernize” those Twisted Sister vocals and blend them better with this track.

1 star User

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:14 pm

^^What he said :p

2 Star User

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:33 am

Alright, he we go. List of new changes:

Swapped in a new vocal file that was actually stereo (on closer inspection the pella I was using before was a mono pella).

Ran the new vocal file through melodyne for pitch identification first (for MashGyver, details below) and then snapped the notes to center of pitch while preserving drift.

I played with the prechorus syllables to the best of my ability, ultimately choosing to bring the first half of them down to fit the first half of the music and bringing the second half up to fit the second half of the music.

Added a Utility module to the vocal and turned up the width to 103%.
Also added a Utility module to the guitar solo and turned it up to 102%.

Reduced volume in first 45 seconds.
Increased volume of guitar solo.

I added a Ping Pong delay inline to the vocal at 6%. Any higher and the mix started to get muddy.

Finally, a did a reverse trick on the last bar before the bridge because I thought the old version was boring. What I really wanted was the transition bar from the end of the first chorus but I didn't have one that fit the instrumentation of the music in the second verse.

Let me know what you think now.

And for MashGyver: here's where Melodyne put the keys of the syllables in the first prechorus (the one I'm using):

Who-o-a: D +37ct - C# +52ct - B +18ct
Who-o-a: D +35ct - C# +34ct - B +59ct
We're: F +17ct slide to -14ct
Right: E +21ct slide to +40ct
We're: E +38ct
Free: F +11ct
We'll: F +39ct
Fight: F# -2ct
You'll: F# +46ct
See-ee: F slide to F# +1ct
O-OH: F# +28ct slide to E

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:15 pm

What a different :1shocked:
Your latest version sounds good to me, I think you can smile after all the hard work, I hope we can see it on the FP soon :1wink:

1 star User

Re: (!)DAW-GUN-Wolves Not Gonna Take It(Twisted Sister v Digi...

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:36 am

Ah this new version is great. The vocals sit much better everywhere but most noticeably at the opening, which smoothly invites the user into a great experience. Persistence pays off.

2 Star User

Post Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks guys!

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 pm

DAW-GUN wrote:And for MashGyver: here's where Melodyne put the keys of the syllables in the first prechorus (the one I'm using):

Who-o-a: D +37ct - C# +52ct - B +18ct
Who-o-a: D +35ct - C# +34ct - B +59ct
We're: F +17ct slide to -14ct
Right: E +21ct slide to +40ct
We're: E +38ct
Free: F +11ct
We'll: F +39ct
Fight: F# -2ct
You'll: F# +46ct
See-ee: F slide to F# +1ct
O-OH: F# +28ct slide to E
Okay. No surprises there. I thought you were saying that your version of Melodyne would help you pull those into key (I just have the basic one so I wasn’t sure what the other versions are capable of.)

I actually like what you did with “We’re free”…that’s actually better than what I had recommended. But again, “We’ll fight” does not land strongly (down 2 still stands as my recommendation), and “you’ll see” could go down 2, or even up 1 might work better. Another option might be “We’ll fight” up 2 and “You’ll see” up 3...

The mix and layout sound great to me now. I just need a bit more harmony at that bridge to give it my blessing.

PreviousNext

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>