(FP) HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(FP) HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 am

Up Tight Galway Girl (Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys)

Mix Feedback welcome. :1smiley:

Up Tight Galway Girl (Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys)
V3

No Flash Installed

DOWNLOAD

Mashup of:
Instrumental: The Black Keys - Tighten Up
Vocals: Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl

Re: HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 am

Even with the variations in speed toward the finish, this one sounds as though it was meant to be an original. Well done, Disco Cat! :1cool:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Re: (!) HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks satis5d! :1grin: :1grin:

I have to clean up the fiddle in the chorus and I'm not sold on the vocals effects yet. I need a few days to figure this one out. Do you guys have any other feedback in the mean time?

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:39 pm

What’s up with Ed Sheeran and putting “Van” (Morrison?) on the jukebox when he dances?

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Do you guys have any other feedback in the mean time?
Can you varispeed it down a bit? The slowed-down part is excellent, but the first part is so dizzyingly fast I honestly almost didn’t make it to the slowed-down part. I know the Sheeran song is pretty fast already, but this is a bit hard to swallow at this speed...

As far as the mix goes, it’s a bit busy, but I can’t put my finger on a solution. Whatever fiddling with the fiddle you’re planning hopefully takes care of it. And the delay around 1:43--is that what you’re not convinced about? Me neither :1sad: I think Ed could be louder and maybe needs some EQ help for clarity, but I really can’t pinpoint what the issue is.

EDIT: Sorry to not be more helpful…just confirming your suspicions, right?

I should mention, though, that this instrumental sounds far more “Irish” than the original, which makes this extra awesome if you can pull it off!

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 am

MashGyver wrote:What’s up with Ed Sheeran and putting “Van” (Morrison?) on the jukebox when he dances?

Happy Cat Disco wrote:Do you guys have any other feedback in the mean time?
Can you varispeed it down a bit? The slowed-down part is excellent, but the first part is so dizzyingly fast I honestly almost didn’t make it to the slowed-down part. I know the Sheeran song is pretty fast already, but this is a bit hard to swallow at this speed...

As far as the mix goes, it’s a bit busy, but I can’t put my finger on a solution. Whatever fiddling with the fiddle you’re planning hopefully takes care of it. And the delay around 1:43--is that what you’re not convinced about? Me neither :1sad: I think Ed could be louder and maybe needs some EQ help for clarity, but I really can’t pinpoint what the issue is.

EDIT: Sorry to not be more helpful…just confirming your suspicions, right?

I should mention, though, that this instrumental sounds far more “Irish” than the original, which makes this extra awesome if you can pull it off!

The fiddle harmony is biggest issue during the chorus. I'll have to automate an EQ to fix it because I can't take it out of the acapella.

I'm going to do a super dry re-amp for the bridge.

I don't have a problem with the tempo. I'm certain the real issue here is the snare fill on every 3rd beat. What I need is the multi-track...Which I just found.

Looks like the drums are just dirty and purposefully sloppy.

No Flash Installed

EDIT: I did a vari-speed test. The tempo was improved but the pitch is out of control. I had Melodyne this to keep the timbre of his voice correct but the fiddle harmonies are artifacting. Thus, this mash is no longer worth my time. I'm moving on to other things.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 am

Version 2 is up with new EQ on the instrumental and vocals as well as a new effect and EQ on the bridge. I also replaced the chorus starts with a duplicate of the intro which removed most of the fiddle issues.

As far as the tempo; I can't change it without quality degradation and I'm not willing to edit out every snare roll at this time.

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:17 am

V2 is a huge improvement. It doesn’t seem as fast and furious to me with the reduced fiddle activity. You mentioned the timbre of the voice when varispeeding, but I was thinking something like a 2-3% slow-down. I would find it hard to believe 30-50 cents affects the vocal formants noticeably, or that that minute of a tempo change creates artifacts in the instrumental.

If this track doesn’t want to cooperate and slow its roll, I still think it’s FP worthy at this point. Would trying that be worth your time? :1smiley:

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 am

MashGyver wrote:V2 is a huge improvement. It doesn’t seem as fast and furious to me with the reduced fiddle activity. You mentioned the timbre of the voice when varispeeding, but I was thinking something like a 2-3% slow-down. I would find it hard to believe 30-50 cents affects the vocal formants noticeably, or that that minute of a tempo change creates artifacts in the instrumental.

If this track doesn’t want to cooperate and slow its roll, I still think it’s FP worthy at this point. Would trying that be worth your time? :1smiley:

Version 3 is up. I dropped it from 110 to 107 BPM, -40 cents.

Regarding the snare edit: The multi-track edit was going to require a complete re-write of the instrumental which was already heavily edited to fit the vocals. I only intended this to be a "I guess I'll make this for tonight" sort of mashup. I have to start working on Mash of the Titans this weekend or Panos will hurt me. I don't want to be hurt by Panos, he was trained by Chuck Norris.

Re: (FP) HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:14 am

Much better! Seriously!

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I don't want to be hurt by Panos, he was trained by Chuck Norris.

Yes, but can he do this?Image

Re: (FP) HCD - Ed Sheeran vs. The Black Keys

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 am

MashGyver wrote:Much better! Seriously!

That's good. Thanks for the help and FP Mash. :1smiley:

MashGyver wrote:
Happy Cat Disco wrote:I don't want to be hurt by Panos, he was trained by Chuck Norris.

Yes, but can he do this?Image

No Panos tornado punches. There are some things even Norris finds too dangerous to teach.

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>