Miss Independent In An Elevator (Aerosmith / K. Clarkson)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Miss Independent In An Elevator (Aerosmith / K. Clarkson)

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:17 pm

satis5d: Miss Independent In An Elevator (Aerosmith vs. Kelly Clarkson)

It's finally finished! (Well, the first version is finished. :1rolleyes: ) This was the mashup I was planning to make for the Mash of The Titans 6 compilation. I gave up on it after many hours of trying to get this one to work and elected to submit another mashup to Panos. However, this one ended up turning out pretty well in the end. I hope you like it.

Aerosmith - Love In An Elevator (remix instrumental assembled (and reassembled) by yours truly)
Kelly Clarkson - Miss Independent (lead acapella, background stem)

No Flash Installed

Version 2

No Flash Installed

Version 3

No Flash Installed

Download here
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Re: Miss Independent In An Elevator (Aerosmith / K. Clarkson)

Post Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 pm

:1shocked: Whoa! :1shocked:

When you told me you were making a "Love In An Elevator” mashup I wasn’t sure how you were going to pull it off. It seems like a pretty challenging song, and I had no idea what to expect. But man, that chorus was awesome! Glad you stuck with it!

The parts of the verses in E don’t exactly clash, but they don’t quite lock harmonically. I think you’re talking about moving notes from the scale B-D-E-F♯-A to E-G-A-B-D (minor pentatonic), so moving the F♯’s to G ought to solve any issues there. The sections in A sound fine, on the other hand. And I already told you how much I like the chorus :1grin:

I also enjoyed your ingenuity and bravery at the bridge. A lot of mashers would just leave that part out, but you grabbed the bull by the horns! :1wink: I do have a few suggestions to make the transition in and out of it a bit smoother. The overlap at the beginning is a bit jarring. Would it be possible to delay Kelly’s bridge a bit more, like until all the way after “go-ing doowwwwn” is over? It would help get the listener ready for the change of pace, and downplay the change in key just a bit. If you do this you may want to add a long delay or reverb to the end of the Aerosmith vocals to extend them a bit as well. I think it’ll take quite a few seconds of space to set up that bridge properly.

As far as coming out of the bridge, I really like the “approaching drums” feel you’ve got going on. I feel like you could make it a bit smoother by fading the Clarkson instrumental out as the Aerosmith instrumental fades in, and possibly stopping all the instrumentals a half second before the transition so Kelly sings “finally feel” a cappella before the instrumental kicks back in. Just a thought. It’s really not bad the way you have it, and my ideas don’t always work.

You’ve done a nice job with this instrumental. The remix version you used seems quite a bit different than the original, but it seems convincing enough.

Very ambitious, satis5d! Just the way I like ‘em!

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 am

I agree with Mash here. There is an occasional off note in the vocals. The energy is GREAT! Just need some tweaking on a few notes. :1cheesy:

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 am

I hate to be difficult, but I've run the verses through Melodyne for analysis and there are no F# notes until we hit the chorus (and very few even then) so I'm at a loss as to which notes would be improved if spot-pitched.

(I'm currently tinkering with the bridge section to see if Mash's suggestion will work.)
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 pm

Version 2 is up (no download link until I know what's going on with the spot-pitching)

I've done some bridge repairs, particularly on the intro/outro sections. Not quite what MashGyver suggested, but the changes are definitely MashGyver-inspired.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

It sounds like the harmony problem is happening because of a 5ths issue prior to the key changes at very specific spots. Would it be possible to duplicate the on key second half of these phrases and replace these time spots? Would that work? :1tongue:
0:35-0:48
1:18 - 1:27

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Happy Cat Disco wrote:It sounds like the harmony problem is happening because of a 5ths issue prior to the key changes at very specific spots. Would it be possible to duplicate the on key second half of these phrases and replace these time spots? Would that work? :1tongue:
0:35-0:48
1:18 - 1:27

Apparently not. I pitched the 0:35-48 section +1, +2, -1 and -2 semitones (no point going further since the voice was getting pretty unnatural at the 2s) and nothing sounds better than the original. I then pitched just a couple of words, "Miss never let a man help her off her throne." And that didn't help any either.

I think I'm going to put version 2 out there as the version to get voted up or down. It's another "Plush Hole Sun" issue, only this time I can't hear it.

(Actually, it's sounding to me like Kelly is a bit on the loud side now. Version 3 is very likely.)

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:19 pm

I was talking about the instrumental not the voice. :1smiley: What about going from 0:35 right into 0:49 and from 1:18 right into 1:28?

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Yeah, that experiment didn't work either.

Final version (3) is up.

A few minor volume level and EQ tweaks. Plus a bit more delay effect to the dramatic pause.

Post Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Version 3 is FINAL? Like…as in…FINAL FINAL?

satis5d wrote:I hate to be difficult, but I've run the verses through Melodyne for analysis and there are no F# notes until we hit the chorus (and very few even then) so I'm at a loss as to which notes would be improved if spot-pitched.
Sorry, that was kind of a quick guess at what the issue was. I do hear some F♯’s at the “No-o-o-o”s at 0:35 and 1:26, but they may show as F’s on Melodyne as they are intentional bluesy (flat). Those are not the big issue, though. Upon further inspection I think the guitar riff in those sections is the real issue (or just the bass in the first verse). 0:17 to 0:35 doesn’t clash because there is a static bass line on E, but when the bass starts to move at around 0:35 the turmoil ensues. I don’t think looping that first part is the solution. I think moving the C♯’s up D’s or in some cases maybe down to B’s would help immensely, but since 3 is your FINAL version…Never mind... :1cry:

I like what you’ve done to the end of the bridge--it is certainly an improvement from the original. I’m glad I could inspire that even if it wasn’t exactly what I suggested. I don’t hear any difference in the beginning of the bridge, though…Maybe you delayed it a bit…I’m not sure. It’s still a bit crowded and sudden for me, which was my issue in the first place. I think zero overlapping of the vocals is the way to go, personally. But let me reiterate that the bridge is a nice touch!

satis5d wrote:It's another "Plush Hole Sun" issue
Uh oh. Was there an “issue" with my old mashup, Plush Hole Sun, that I was unaware of? :1huh: Or did you mean to type “Black Hole Sun”? :1wink:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>