(!) AC/DC Vs. KC And The Sunshine Band

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) AC/DC Vs. KC And The Sunshine Band

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 am

Who in a million years would have thought that KC And The Sunshine Band and AC/DC would go together so well kudos to Angus for the help and inspiration way before I even made this thread, I hope you enjoy it and have fun listening to it thanks again.
Sources Used
Highway To Hell Live Version from Donington 1991 Lead Vocal and Guitar
KC And The Sunshine Band You Said You'd Give Me Some More Official Instrumental with Backing Vocals.

No Flash Installed

V2:

No Flash Installed

V3:

No Flash Installed

V4:

No Flash Installed

V5

No Flash Installed

V6

No Flash Installed

V7 FINAL VERSION

No Flash Installed

Download V1.5 Here: https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/39 ... 579843.mp3

Download V2 Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/19 ... 618443.mp3

Download V3 Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/15 ... 632481.mp3

Download V4 Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/18 ... 366059.mp3

Download V5 Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/96 ... 132704.mp3

Download V6 River Plate Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/45 ... 948612.mp3

Download V7 Final Version Here
https://sowndhaus.com/uploads/tracks/16 ... 588939.mp3

Last edited by TheRayMan on Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 am, edited 6 times in total.

Re: AC/DC Vs. KC And The Sunshine Band

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:59 am

It's got potential, Ray, but those "I'm on the Highway to Hell" lines are quite late. The "I'm on a" needs to come in on the downbeat, with the first syllable in "HIGH-way" hitting the beat. So, the first "I'm on a highway to Hell" should start at 0:49, and the second at 0:53 and the third at about 0:57 and the fourth at 1:00. Got it? Fix those throughout and you'll find this works much better.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

1 star User

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:15 am

Version 2 features a changed key and the chorus has been fixed and is on beat, The live version of Highway To Hell is performed in A Mixolydian instead of the original version which was A Flat Mixolydian so I had to move Brian down by one additional semitone, Thanks to Angus for the advice and help so far and thanks to Satis5'd as well.

2 Star User

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:31 am

TheRayMan wrote:Version 2 features a changed key and the chorus has been fixed and is on beat.

Version 2 is popping for me in a way that previous versions did not, perhaps it is the key change.

I know it's a live acapella track ... but the timing still seems late at multiple spots, e.g @1:00, @1:18, and @1:34, etc. There's also some dissonance due to the chromatism in the guitar solo @2:56 and @4:20, I have no idea how to mitigate that. A DJ who wanted to get people moving on the floor might make a club edit of this song where those portions are elided.

Overall I love the rock-disco combo.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Well, you know I love the idea, and the potential with this one is really showing. When the chorus lines up it is pretty frickin’ awesome.

Although I hate the fact that you are stuck with using a live acapella, and Brian singing Bon’s song no less, it’s really the only thing you have to work with here, unfortunately. I think with some extra processing on those vocals you may be able to make KC/DC happen:

I know you’re working with Reaper, so I don’t know what options you have, but here is what I would recommend:

1. A Noise Gate to kill some of the instrumental bleed-through during the verses.
2. A wide stereo reverb (can really help clean up the abrupt cut-outs from the vocals, which the gate may add more of.)
3. A wide stereo delay, especially if you can get it to sound like the vocals on the original KC track do.

The timing still needs work. I think the tempo is just right, but some of the spots you’ve placed the vocals sound “off”. Most of the first chorus is much improved thanks to satis5d’s suggestion, but the first “I’m on a highway to hell” is a bit behind. And I feel like the first verse starts 2 beats early and stays 2 beats early.
The second verse feels like it should wait to start at 1:21, but there is a lot of space after the first chorus that you might consider trimming down...
The chorus at 2:30 is perfectly placed, in my opinion.

As far as the guitar solo…well, I’m pretty sure Angus had a few too many that day--not his best performance :1embarassed: Again I wish there was a better version of the solo to use for this. There may be a cover version floating around that sounds good enough to be Angus, but unless you can find that or even want to replace it I would really crank up the high-end on this solo to bring it out of the muck a bit. And maybe give it some similar treatment as the vocals with reverb and/or delay.

This one’s getting there. Keep at it, RayMan!

1 star User

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 am

Version 3 has now been added to the OP, Changes included are much more prominent vocals from Brian, Added a Noise Gate Reverb and Delay, I also did the same to the Guitar Solo looked everywhere for Karaoke versions but decided to keep the original regardless, I didn't really want to shorten anything so before the second verse hits I made the first verse repeat itself, The same can be said right before the track ends as well, Thanks for the critique and comment once you get the chance have a good one!

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:46 am

The additional vocal production on Version 3 really goes a long way. The Reverb and Gating are helping Brian be more believable as a disco singer. He could maybe use a reverb that decays slower (lasts longer), but it’s a huge step in the right direction.

The timing doesn’t seem improved in V3. :1huh: Did you move anything other than inserting an additional first verse?

I’m gonna hunt for a cover of the original guitar solo for you…that one just isn’t good. :1cry:

2 Star User

Post Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 am

The vocal processing is a definite improvement. I really want to see this one work! Not least because the acronym KC/DC is totally awesome.

MashGyver wrote:The timing doesn’t seem improved in V3.

As an example, here is specifically what I would do @ 0:50:
I'm/on/a/high/way/to/hell

• "I'm" is early. But presumably you trying to get "high" right on the beat, which you do. So what about just "on a high way" and get rid of the "I'm"? Start "on" on the beat and stretch it a bit.
  • "high" is good, but might need to be a bit longer.
  • "way" is too short, such that "to hell" is too early. So stretch out "way".

"high/way/to/hell" @ 0:54 is just right, so you can use that as a guide. @ 0:57 sits well and is similar to the problem section @ 0:50, so you could use that as a guide as well.

You'll have to dig in and do this level of detail work in several places, but I think the result will be totally worth it.

MashGyver wrote:I’m gonna hunt for a cover of the original guitar solo for you…that one just isn’t good. :1cry:

Yes this is the other big pain point, hopefully it can be mitigated. However, if that doesn't work out but you get the timing right in the other places, I'm confident live DJs will want to play the non-solo parts of this song.

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:34 pm

I see what you are going for here but I'm not sure how to get these in key without hurting the clarity.

Version 1 vocal sounds clear but it's out of key.
Version 2 vocal sounds overly reverbed and is out of key.
Version 3 vocal sounds overly reverbed, the verse key is unclear but the chorus is in key.

1 star User

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am

Version 4 has now been put in the original post the changes I made will be mentioned below

Reduced the reverb a little bit on Brian's voice.
Added Angus's new solo courtesy of Mashgyver
Repitched Brian down an additional semitone
Fixed the timing of Brian's vocal

Thanks again and comment once you get the chance!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>