(!)Every Black Hole Sun You Take (The Police vs Soundgarden)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
2 Star User

(!)Every Black Hole Sun You Take (The Police vs Soundgarden)

Post Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm

From the all new album 80's Mashed Volume 4

Instrumental: The Police - Every Breath You Take (1983)
Acapella: Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (1994)

No Flash Installed

http://chocomang.org/mashup#239
https://soundcloud.com/choco1-1/chocoma ... -session-1
http://audioboots.com/Albums/80sMashed4

Re: Every Black Hole Sun You Take (The Police vs Soundgarden)

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

The only issue here for me (which I was absolutely expecting before even listening) are the key variations of Chris Cornell not fully meshing with the instrumental.

To your credit, there aren't near as many note issues as usual, which means you probably spent some time successfully spot pitching notes, but this vocal track is such a mess key-wise that there still exist some clashing with the instrumental.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

2 Star User

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for your comment, but you are wrong here, I did not spot individual notes. I just slightly adjusted the pitching of the vocal track as a whole to be in key.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:22 pm

Well, my hat’s off to you for a very valiant effort. As a few of us have found out first hand, Black Hole Sun is a very unique song and doesn’t mash well with many things. I was able to mash it successfully once, but it still required me to change one note in the melody and loop a few bars of the instrumental to get it to work.

This one does work far better than I thought it would, however, thanks to some serendipitous chord changes, and your good ear catching that 50-cent pitch disparity. But honestly, as YITT said, there are just a few too many harmony issues to make this one believable.

I have to think if you laid the chorus to Black Hole Sun over the bridge to Every Breath You Take (1:23) it would work very well, if not perfectly, as they take some similar harmonic turns. Otherwise, the rest of the song really requires quite a few individual pitch changes, most notably, just about every instance of the word “sun.” I encourage you to try experimenting with it, but the drawback may be that it ends up being destructive to the melody… :1undecided:

Best of luck, Chocomang!

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 am

I like the idea very much, Chocomang, there are parts that works really great together, like an original, but I had to agree with the others about the key issues :1cry:

Post Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:55 pm

There are some weird notes but it's pretty mash-able. I'm recommending for the courageous
effort. :1smiley:

Re: (!)Every Black Hole Sun You Take (The Police vs Soundgarden)

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:30 am

This is a very enjoyable mix, Chocomang. A fine addition to the 80's album. But one of the things we are instructed not to do is post OOK mashups to the Front page. If you can successfully do the spot-pitching, I think the mods would be tripping over each other to be the first to Front-Page it.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 pm

satis5d wrote:This is a very enjoyable mix, Chocomang. A fine addition to the 80's album. But one of the things we are instructed not to do is post OOK mashups to the Front page. If you can successfully do the spot-pitching, I think the mods would be tripping over each other to be the first to Front-Page it.

Thanks much but I will not change this mix as it sounds perfectly on key to me.
Sorry that you hear it OOK.

Just think about one thing, being on key is not based on any scientific facts but it is something cultural and my culture is metal, grunge and punk rock .... Probably why I am so tone deaf :1cheesy:

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm

chocomang wrote:Thanks much but I will not change this mix as it sounds perfectly on key to me.
Sorry that you hear it OOK.

My little soapbox: This is why I dislike the term “Out Of Key”. This mashup is in the right key. But "Black Hole Sun” borrows a few notes and chords from other keys, which is important to find an instrumental that does similar things harmonically, or change the notes of the acapella back in to notes from the key. This mashup works quite well, all things considered, and I respect you, Chocomang, for sticking to your guns on this. And I respect your point about cultural and personal preferences for differing harmonies (although I disagree that it isn’t based on any science, but that’s a whole different discussion.) The most important point here is that your harmonic preference has been out-voted by the majority of us.

We will continue to share our feedback on this stuff. Do with it as you wish. You do great work Chocomang!

Post Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Chocomang! :1grin: You've run into the 90's melody debate that's been going on here for a while. :1laugh:

So I agree with both sides. It's technically in key but Blackhole sun has a trippy progression that transition minor to major and to other unknown lands. With that sort of thing happening you're bound to end up with notes that are off harmony on occasion (not off key). An example of this would the "sun" note at exactly 1:45. It's a rare thing throughout (like 2% of the notes) so I can see why's not that noticeable. I understand the pain of mashing 90's and I don't mind most of the notes so my recommend stands. :1smiley:

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>