[FP] Chained to the Heathens (Katy Perry vs 21 Pilots)v1,2&3

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

[FP] Chained to the Heathens (Katy Perry vs 21 Pilots)v1,2&3

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 am

Well, here it is.

K-Perr gets a darker edge with some help from 21 P's.

I wove the choruses together because for most of her chorus, Ms Perry sounded too high against this music.

Hopefully the vocal's diy-ness isn't too noticable. The instrumental was also problematic from 2:24 to 2:44. Maybe we'll just dance dance dance to the distortion. :1tongue:

No Flash Installed

download (right click)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V2

No Flash Installed

download (right click)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

V3

No Flash Installed

download (right click)

Re: Chained to the Heathens (Katy Perry vs 21 Pilots)

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 am

I think that the combination works well. I'm going to defer to those with the golden ears in the group to determine if the artifacts I'm hearing are a serious problem or not.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

1 star User

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Maybe a bit too dry.
I would want to hear more beats in it.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Well, the vocals do have a few fleeting moments of DIY-ness, but it’s better than any DIY I’ve ever found. Is this the same one DJ SeVe and everyone else has been using or is there an Official out there?

If someone can confirm that this is the best quality acapella out at the moment this is a no-brainer recommend from me. You’ve made "Chained To The Rhythm" sound incredibly dark and dismal! (It probably would’ve been a good entry for this month’s mash-off too!)

I do have one Creative Suggestion: During that pause before the choruses (1:03 and 1:49) I would recommend adding a little more Feedback or Wet signal to your delay/echo effect you’ve got on Katy there. Just temporarily to help sustain that last word, “trouble” until the chorus kicks in. I think it would make that pause seem a bit less abrupt...

Otherwise, this is, in my opinion, the best Chained To The Rhythm mashup I’ve heard so far!

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks all! I will look for an official 'pella, wet things up a bit, and make the pre-chorus pause flow a bit better.

Adding beats is probably above my pay grade however, but I'll experiment if I get time.

Not tonight though. Gotta go to bed.

2 Star User

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Sounds good to me. These two songs just "work" together. Nice find! :1smiley:

1 star User

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 am

So what vocal src were you using? 'cos I'm trying to figure out if its the levels/eq/compression or the 21 Pilots track it sits against that makes this sound slightly muddier in some places or if its just the source vocal.

I really like it...think it'd sound even better sped up a tiny bit as sometimes the 21 pilots 2step (prolly the wrong term) kinda beat Vs the KTs 'to the rhythm, to the rhythm' sounds a little pedantic/straight which might not be the case if the overall tempo was slightly pushed...(look at me pretending to know shit after a month of trying this shit ;)) or as someone else mentioned I think with some added lil drums (poss just double tap hats b4 the kick maybe) to fill it out & tie the two together even better.

I have a dope trap (very mildy trap - don't panic) version of the 21 Pilots track that's got good potential with the KT Perry on hearing this - may give it a whirl next week \o/ (unless doing something similar piss ppl off on here?)

PS. really like where the two vocals kinda counter-point each other - I can see them on either side of a stage singing at each other ;)

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am

Very cool combo, g4g :1cool: I like it much :1smiley:

MashGyver wrote:I do have one Creative Suggestion: During that pause before the choruses (1:03 and 1:49) I would recommend adding a little more Feedback or Wet signal to your delay/echo effect you’ve got on Katy there. Just temporarily to help sustain that last word, “trouble” until the chorus kicks in. I think it would make that pause seem a bit less abrupt...

Otherwise, this is, in my opinion, the best Chained To The Rhythm mashup I’ve heard so far!

Agreed!

Regarding the pella, maybe you want to check the pella I'm holding, not sure if it's better, I guess its the same as yours, but I used this one in my mash, so take a look...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2eZhOiEXSjkYnVHZ0NVWEpWX3M/view?usp=sharing

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 am

V2 and V3 are now up.

V2 = I found a better acapella, and I added some reverb. I also fiddled about with some echo after the verses, but that didn't seem to make much difference so also added some 21 pilots.

V3 = all of the above, plus some beats courtesy of a looped Linkin Park intro.

SgtMash wrote:...I think it'd sound even better sped up a tiny bit as sometimes the 21 pilots 2step (prolly the wrong term) kinda beat Vs the KTs 'to the rhythm, to the rhythm' sounds a little pedantic/straight which might not be the case if the overall tempo was slightly pushed...(look at me pretending to know shit after a month of trying this shit ;))

That's excellent feedback. KP is slowed down 5% for this mashup, and for some people that will have the effect of making the instrumental sound like it needs a kick in the pants. I've never been very good at changing instrumental tempos. I would need a better DAW. I really should look around for one.

SgtMash wrote:...or as someone else mentioned I think with some added lil drums (poss just double tap hats b4 the kick maybe) to fill it out & tie the two together even better.

Yes indeed! I did some experimenting, and I was amazed at how much faster the tempo seemed to be. It's now V3.

SgtMash wrote:I have a dope trap (very mildy trap - don't panic) version of the 21 Pilots track that's got good potential with the KT Perry on hearing this - may give it a whirl next week \o/ (unless doing something similar piss ppl off on here?)

A while ago I made a mashup with INXS and Will Smith. Rhythm Scholar liked it except for the Will Smith vocals. He made his own killer version without Will Smith and some next level mixing skills. Both versions made the front page. :1smiley:

http://www.mashstix.com/002737

http://www.mashstix.com/002790

Re: Chained to the Heathens (Katy Perry vs 21 Pilots) v1,2&3

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 am

Both new versions sound great to me. The kicks and hats in V3 are a fantastic addition. I think the hats in V3 do need a bit of reverb to sit better in the mix, so for now I will just RECOMMEND V2...

Nice work, g4gorilla!

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>