[FP] SuperHammer (Stevie Wonder x Peter Gabriel)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

Re: SuperHammer (Stevie Wonder x Peter Gabriel)

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 am

Damn this is simply remarkable hope it gets the FP, Simply put a amazing job keep it up!

1 star User

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:03 am

Hahaha, always check files before you upload them, kids.

v2.1 is up now :P

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 am

My first listen to this was version 2.1 which is really good. I do have a couple of suggestions though...

1. The "clavinet"(?) seems to drop off harshly when you're done looping it. I suggest you fade it out a bit at the end of each loop.

2. There are several minor timing issues. I know that you've mentioned that this one is a timing nightmare, but it's also the kind of mashup that if done right could garner you a fair bit of notoriety.
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 am

Drazile wrote:These songs go together so well, I was genuinely surprised when I couldn't find a mashup between the two already.

:1lipsrsealed:

phpBB [media]

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 pm

SMASH wrote::1lipsrsealed:

phpBB [media]

Yeah, that’s the one I found, but as I said it’s not nearly as good a concept as this one!

v2.1 sounds better, and you’re still well on your way with this one. As satis5d said, still a few timing issues:

@2:58 “This could be my testimony” seems like it comes in a tad too early.
@3:33 - 3:53 all of Stevie’s vocals seem a bit early. Some of it is probably the groove of his vocal phrasing versus the groove of Sledgehammer, which I have to believe would sound a bit better if you moved them forward or just dragged them out a bit longer.
@4:33 “Superstition ain’t the way” comes in quite a bit early.

This time around I also noticed something… Around 2:56 “Superstition ain’t the way” clashes harmonically at that particular spot. Technically the whole chorus starting from 2:42 is out of key (instrumental is essentially in F minor there), but I didn’t find it very noticeable until that very last line. I’m curious how the others hear that part...

The whole thing is really groovy though, so be patient...

1 star User

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 am

Alright, version 3 is up. Multiple vocal snippets from both parties have been attentively adjusted to better fit the groove.

I consider it perfect now.

Also,
satis5d wrote:The "clavinet"(?) seems to drop off harshly when you're done looping it. I suggest you fade it out a bit at the end of each loop.

done! The keys (as the name of the mp3 stem said) now fade slightly. Not enough for it to be too obvious, though

MashGyver wrote:Technically the whole chorus starting from 2:42 is out of key (instrumental is essentially in F minor there), but I didn’t find it very noticeable until that very last line. I’m curious how the others hear that part...

While technically you're correct, to me it doesn't sound likely any of Wonder's notes are out of key or warrant pitch correction, and I wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't mention it :P

Thanks for all of your feedback, everyone!

1 star User

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:50 am

(bump)

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Timing sounds tight. I’m gonna defer my judgement on the harmony at the 2:42 chorus and see what the others think, as I can be a tad fastidious about those things. The rest of this mashup is excellent!

Re: (!) SuperHammer (Stevie Wonder x Peter Gabriel)

Post Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:32 am

Yeah, there was an "anomaly" at around 2:50-ish that made me raise an eyebrow, but that's all it did. No cringing or wincing, so I'm going to let that ride. You're probably ready to work on something different anyway, I suppose. This one is is ready for framing.

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>