(!) Warezio - Cleanhead (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!
1 star User

(!) Warezio - Cleanhead (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Warezio - Cleanhead (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Taylor Swift - Clean (Acapella)
Bush - Machinehead (Multitrack)

I feel like the vocals need a "faster attack" in some parts to match the instrumental. Any tips?

Version 2: (vocal level tweaks)

No Flash Installed

Version 1: (vocal eq/delay/verb)

No Flash Installed

Version 0:

No Flash Installed

Version 2 download link
Last edited by warezio on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1 star User

Re: Warezio - Cleanhead (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:53 am

warezio wrote:I feel like the vocals need a "faster attack" in some parts to match the instrumental. Any tips?

Being able to warp n mess with the vocal transients would be your friend there, but you could always try doubling up vocal for the 'attack' bits in the vocal or simply adding volume envelope to stress the 1st ??formant/transient?? bit of the word(s) you wanna have more attack to add dynamism / punch to match the instrumental. I dare not say 'compressor' & vocal in the same sentence here... :1laugh:

That said I like it as is...you ever get a full on DAW & Melodyne you will be able to match the un-matchable cos you def got the ear, patience & skills.

1 star User

Post Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:22 pm

SgtMash wrote:That said I like it as is...you ever get a full on DAW & Melodyne you will be able to match the un-matchable cos you def got the ear, patience & skills.

Aw shucks, thanks for the compliment. :1grin:

When I get back from traveling I'm going to try Reaper.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 am

The melody works really well. You'll just need to clean the mud out of the low in the vocals and find a nice echo and verb so the vocals sit better.

Regarding the DAW. If you can afford it get Protools.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:The melody works really well. You'll just need to clean the mud out of the low in the vocals and find a nice echo and verb so the vocals sit better.

YEP :1wink:

Re: (!) Warezio - Cleanhead (Taylor Swift vs. Bush)

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Looking forward to hearing the end-product of this one. Great pairing! :1smiley:
self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm impressed at the sound of the Bush instrumental in my KRK's atm, considering this was a hit in the late 90's, notorious for being devoid of available quality sources.

I agree that the only problem here is Swift's vocals. They are very muddy, and quiet to me.

Thing is, I don't know how effective simply raising treble/dipping mids + mild effects can save her vocals here, due to them being DIY.

I personally typically tend to shy away from using any DIY vocals, because they are so hard to work with, and I have personal experience with trying to work with Swift's DIY vocals. It worked out for me in that case, but I understand that this could have been a rare situation, so good luck - always worth a shot.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

1 star User

Post Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Version 1 posted.

Based upon the replies (super helpful, thanks everybody!), I did the following: I cleared everything below 150hz in the vocals (surprising amount of energy there ... bad acapella!). I then played with eq, added a delay with a semitone shift for thickness, and then played around with reverb.

YITT wrote:I personally typically tend to shy away from using any DIY vocals, because they are so hard to work with, and I have personal experience with trying to work with Swift's DIY vocals.

Yes this is fundamental problem. The next time I have this level of conga-esque percussive acapella bleed, I'm going to use a Miami Sound Machine instrumental. :1tongue:

YITT wrote:I'm impressed at the sound of the Bush instrumental in my KRK's atm, considering this was a hit in the late 90's, notorious for being devoid of available quality sources.

The multitrack is from the "giant torrent of stems" that was on reddit about a month ago (MashGyver's hard drive? it has a lot of rock ...). The only modification is I compressed the final mix.

1 star User

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:26 am

Definitely cleaned & lifted up that vocal \o/

1 star User

Post Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Version 2 posted. For the sowndhaus release I turned up the vocals a bit at selective places.

Next

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>