(FP) SgtMash - Team Hurt Me(Iggy Azalea Vs. Culture Club)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

Re: (!!!!) SgtMash - Team Hurt Me(Iggy Azalea Vs. Culture Club)

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 am

Agreed. Unbelievable transformation here. :1cool: I would recommend turning the vocals down db or so if you can.

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:I would recommend turning the vocals down db or so if you can.
I was ready to FP it until HCD came along…

There are a lot of parts where I feel like a full dB might bury George in the mix…maybe just my taste, though. But I was thinking…you might be able to tone down those backing vocals a bit by adding a “Utility” effect on the vocal track and automating the Width down to 80% or so when the backing vox come in. Those are the parts where I feel the vocals really overpower the ‘mental…

But I don’t know. I don’t want to put off FPing this much longer. Your call, Sarge.

1 star User

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:18 am

Yea - probably be a day or so as I got one ear down with wax so my hearing is well off (old man problems!) - if I hot oil today should be ok tormorrow tho'

MashGyver wrote:But I was thinking…you might be able to tone down those backing vocals a bit by adding a “Utility” effect on the vocal track and automating the Width down to 80% or so when the backing vox come in. Those are the parts where I feel the vocals really overpower the ‘mental…

I'm not sure what this process is, but effectively am I trying to use the overall volume of the 'mental to limit the volume in the vocal? so automatically when it gets quieter in the 'mental it get quieter in the vocal through something clever idk about in Live??? If so I google a bit as this is something I've been trying to work out how to do.

A volume limiter on vocals fired off the overall volume level of a (sidechained?!) instrumental would be very useful as a alt to manual volume automation!!

1 star User

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:32 am

After some reading it would appear MashGyver that you are suggesting limiting the stereo width of the vocal track to make a bit more space???

I can't really hear much difference with me one ear, but will have a play tomorrow. I had to added quiet a bit of reverb to the Instrumental to balance it out as there's a ton in the vocal, even with a high end filter trying to bring it down, so will have a play with the volume/mix balance/width & reverb once my ears working again :)

Is there a way of sidechaining a limiter to lower/limit the volume of one track based on another tracks volume level in Ableton?? could be helpful still - maybe not in this case...

-and where do you mean by backing vocals...??

Re: (FP) SgtMash - Team Hurt Me(Iggy Azalea Vs. Culture Club)

Post Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm

SgtMash wrote:After some reading it would appear MashGyver that you are suggesting limiting the stereo width of the vocal track to make a bit more space???
Technically, yes. But the way that stereo width works, Ableton essentially balances the volume of the side channels versus center channel through phasing. So going below 100% decreases the volume of the side channels and brings you closer to Mono (0%), and going above 100% decreases the volume of the center channel and gives the psychoacoustic illusion of a wider sound with a reduced center channel. In this case, the backing harmonies are really prominent in the side channels while the lead vocals are dead center and almost mono (a common vocal production method.)

The backing vocals I hear that disrupt the mix (for my ears) are at 1:22 through 1:30, and then 1:41 through 1:49, then 2:00 through 2:18. If you want to give this “narrowing” trick a try, I would be ready to automate the volume of the vocals back up in case it buries them a bit.

Of course, since it appears someone already Frontpaged this for me, there’s no pressure from me :1wink:

Congrats on the FP! Awesome track!

1 star User

Re: (FP) SgtMash - Team Hurt Me(Iggy Azalea Vs. Culture Club)

Post Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:03 am

Aww thanks guys...I have my hearing back and am playing with the width as we speak thanks for the feedback - as ever always learning, which is what makes Mashtix so great <3

I done utility edit: Subtle, but helps a lot with bringing the reverb down a treat as well as lifting / making some room for the vocal - I think it's a good tool for the arsenal going forward so thanks again MashGyver for the support!

No Flash Installed

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/q0pwxe7j4qfvgd ... m%20II.mp3

Previous

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>