(!) SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Post your music productions here and get feedback from the Stix community - If you get enough positive feedback or if we really like your work, we'll post it on the front page!

(!) SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Instrumetnal & Vocals: LP - Lost On You
Vocals: The Chainsmokers - Closer

I just love both songs and I think they complement each other very well, what do you think?

V2

No Flash Installed

Download V2

V3

No Flash Installed

Download V3

Re: SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Well, I fell in love at the first 10-20 seconds of just the instrumental, but this one is not perfect, because of just one part.

@ 2:00 in, her vocals are pretty noticeably low quality throughout this part. It sounds like you had to raise the treble so high to mask the artifacts that it ends up being a bit painfully sharp, while still not removing all the artifacts, which tells me it's probably gonna be near impossible to get her sounding nice and comfortable at this part, given your above average skill at effects/eq'ing.

This part jarred me just enough to shy away from recommending this one. Let's see what others think of it.

EDIT: Actually, forget what I said about the sharp bite of her vocals. I forgot I had my volume set too high from listening to something else. At normal volumes, she sounds comfortable to my ear, but still a bit low quality. Just enough to have me hold back.
I am here, and so are you. We can be together at other places, too
Soundcloud
YouTube
Sowndhaus
Facebook

Re: SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 am

Well I purposely didn't look at the clock as I was listening to this one to see if I'd notice the issue at around the 2:00 mark that YITT pointed out. I didn't hear it, but I did hear a great mashup. I recommend. :1smiley:

self-proclaimed Mashstix judge of artistic expression / satis5d at sowndhaus.com

2 Star User

Re: (!) SMASH - Close On You (LP vs. The Chainsmokers)

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:33 am

Excellent!
Firmly anchoring the old and untalented end of Mashstix since 2012...

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 pm

So I too really like this mashup however for me the vocals could be mastered/EQd better. It really sounds like a mashup if you get what I mean?

I'm not sure if you have a poor quality acapella or if there's EQ worsening it but I get YITT's point. They sound distant to the instrumental to me.

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:51 am

Thanks for the feedback guys and thank you satis5d for the recommend :1smiley:
Regarding the point YITT and Firth mentioned (I guess Firth is talking about the same part where Halsey start singing), so actually in the first version I gave her less reverb then the rest of the vocals, so I tune the reverb now to be more wet by 10% on her voice, hope it will locked more nicely with the mental.

So Version 2 is up

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:15 pm

This is a great combo SMASH. I think the vocals sounds a little "time torn" but it's undetectable during the chorus. Before I send this one up to the Frontpage, I was wondering what your plug-in tool set is.

When I get time tearing from slowing down vocals, I typically run them through a distortion like guitar rig or something. This masks the tearing while also making it look like I made some sort of creative decision with the mix. :1tongue: I'll also Re-reverb the vocals after the distortion to be in the room of the instrumental. A small amount during both verse section my work or it may turn out to be a mixing nightmare. Brace yourself. Up to you. :1smiley:

Please don't take away version 2 just in-case this fails and I'll send it to FP.

Nice work.

Post Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:40 am

Happy Cat Disco wrote:This is a great combo SMASH. I think the vocals sounds a little "time torn" but it's undetectable during the chorus. Before I send this one up to the Frontpage, I was wondering what your plug-in tool set is.

When I get time tearing from slowing down vocals, I typically run them through a distortion like guitar rig or something. This masks the tearing while also making it look like I made some sort of creative decision with the mix. :1tongue: I'll also Re-reverb the vocals after the distortion to be in the room of the instrumental. A small amount during both verse section my work or it may turn out to be a mixing nightmare. Brace yourself. Up to you. :1smiley:

Please don't take away version 2 just in-case this fails and I'll send it to FP.

Nice work.

Thanks for the feedback!!

OK, I got your point (I think :1undecided: ), it's the time tearing from slowing down the pella.
Well, the original BPM for "Lost On You" is 87, while "Closer" is 95, V1 and V2 were set to 92 which is close enough to "Closer".
Anyway, I'm using the Complex Pro option on the pella which technically helped to avoid such issues as far as I know. I don't know if your suggestions may work or not, HCD, and probably I don't have your technical skills yet :1tongue: , but beside the pella speed, my son mention another interesting point, In V1/V2 I lowered the low ends on "Closer" and because the lack of bass in the mental's verses, it may cause the pella to sound like it is flowing above.

Just to complete the picture my EQ settings for the pella is:
@ 386Hz lowered by 5 dB
@ 3.00kHz lowered by 4 db
Only for the part that Halsey is singing I cut a bit the high ends to avoid the artifact sound in her voice.

Considering your feedback, Version 3 is up with the following changes (which I feel more comfortable with this one):
  • Reset the low ends frequencies to zero on "Closer"
  • Decrease the amount of reverb on the pella by 5% to be less wet (set to 40%)
  • Increase the overall BPM by 2 (set to 94)
  • Move slightly the "Closer" pella just a bit to the left

Please let me know if it sounds better now, thanks!

Return to Submit Mashups <HERE>